Scoop by Evelyn Waugh

Was Albert Camus a better goalkeeper than George Orwell? Have your say here.
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin
antispam: no

Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:57 pm

Don't know if there are any Evelyn Waugh fans out there? I've never really been into his later more serious stuff but I simply love the early comic novels. Scoop is a fabulous piss take of world of journalism.

Decline and Fall is possibly even funnier. This was his first novel which he wrote when he was only 25. There ain't half been some clever bastards!

Waugh once said : "I regard writing not as an investigation of character but as an exercise in the use of language, and with this I am obsessed. I have no technical psychological interest. It is drama, speech and events that interest me."

C
Charles
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:04 pm

Yes, I'm getting into Evelyn Waugh, I agree Decline and Fall is one of the funiest things I've ever read. "Captain Grimes was one of the immortals."

I've read that, Scoop and Vile Bodies and I'm currently reading A Handful of Dust. I've heard that Vile Bodies is supposedly his worst but I enjoyed it myself. The subversion of comedy to tragedy is done very well.
Last edited by Charles on Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wabznasm
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:04 am

I'm a big fan of Evelyn Waugh.

My only problem with him is that after reading quite a lot, all of his novels tend to merge together and it's difficult to distingusih which from which. I could tell you memorable scenes and associate them with the books, but I couldn't name you characters. Still, the one that shines above the rest is A Handful of Dust. It's his best in my opinion. The film is spot on too.

For a funnier read I would also suggest The Loved One.
Charles
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:50 pm

Yeah, I'm just half way through "A Handful of Dust", and yes, fantastic novel. I'm seeing a kind of bleak parody of D.H. Lawrence-style romantic fiction in it. Brilliant stuff, at any rate.