Hello

If you're new to the forum and want to introduce yourself, this is the place.
Sean Sweeney

Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:08 pm

Hello to everyone, my name is Sean Sweeney. Before I get into any details, I'd like to say, I'm not the most efficient writer. I'm not too good with grammar or spelling. I never really read poetry and I'm not sure if what I write can be considered poetry. Since I was about 13 I started writing. It was always abstract writing inspired by the way lyrics are written. Ever since then I do it religiously. Now it's more to relieve stress. I thought I'd explain I have next to no knowledge in terms of poetry. So I figure if I show my work I can maybe be moulded into someone who does =].

Other than that, I'm 18. Live in a very poor town. Attending uni soon, for a screenwriting course. Used to be a film buff, play bass, love music etc. I used to take several kinds of drugs when I was about 15, not anymore though. Those experiences come into play allot with my poetry.

Other that, there's not much else to say; except reiterate how rough I am with my grammar and poetic knowledge. Hopefully that will change. If I've came to the wrong place, I do apologise.

Sean Sweeney.
pseud
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:41 pm

Hey Sean,

Yeah, sounds like you're in the right place. Just remember to offer your opinions on others' work as well, and everything's fine. It's not about how much you know, it's about how much you try - otherwise I wouldn't be here.

I'd relax about knowing all the terms or grammatical stuff - most of the time those who only concern themselves with that stuff can't actually write worth shit. Not always, but it's a trend I've noticed especially among Uni professors. So no worries really. Just write; most errors are easily fixed and you'll get better at spotting the more you read.

Welcome.

Caleb
"Don't treat your common sense like an umbrella. When you come into a room to philosophize, don't leave it outside, but bring it in with you." Wittgenstein
Lexilogio
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:08 pm

Welcome Sean,

I'm sure you will do ok. You will find that you learn as much from commenting on the work of others as you do by the comments others make about your work. Don't worry about the grammar and spelling - you can always check those later - it's far more important what you write, and what you are trying to say.
Lexi
David

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:46 pm

Hi Sean,

Jump right in and make yourself at home. We don't stand on ceremony, and we're very forgiving.

You should start reading the stuff as well, though.

Cheers

David
Sean Sweeney

Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:36 pm

Thanks for the welcome. It seems like a friendly enough place. =]
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:27 pm

Welcome Sean.

As I'm sure you'll be told somewhere down the line, start reading poetry, devour it!

I too came from the Music/Lyrics approach, but quickly realised it's a different game! No music for a start to cover your tracks, to disguise a lame line or two!

Good luck

cheers
Kris
http://www.closetpoet.co.uk
Sean Sweeney

Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:33 pm

Thanks. I have read very little poetry. Only some by Norman McCaig and Edwin Morgan. So suggestions would be appreciated.
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:35 pm

Yes, read plenty of good stuff - like the celebrated Ewen McTeagle -

Lend us a quid till the end of the week.
If you could see your way
To lending me sixpence
I could at least buy a newspaper.
That's not much to ask anyone.
- brings tears to the eyes.

On a more serious note, enjoy yourself here.

Barrie
Elphin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:28 pm

Go for it Sean

McCaig and Morgan were my route in to poetry a long time ago. Just read, comment honestly on what you read here then get posting.

Elphin
Sean Sweeney

Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:23 pm

Thanks again. I will get reading shortly. Just been doing some stuff for work and collage recently. I'll also look out my Edwin Morgan book, flick through that again. Maybe get something a bit better during the week. Hopefully be giving opinions on stuff by the end of the week. Thanks again for the welcome.
Oskar
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:22 pm

Don't worry about messing up.
If you can't make a mistake, you can't make anything. Er, that's not me. That's someone else.

18 eh? Welcome to the House of Fun.
"This is going to be a damn masterpiece, when I finish dis..." - Poeterry
David

Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:56 pm

Sean Sweeney wrote:Thanks. I have read very little poetry. Only some by Norman McCaig and Edwin Morgan. So suggestions would be appreciated.
I always recomend The Rattle Bag as a terrific introduction to all kinds of poetry. Give it a try.
kozmikdave
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:45 am

Gidday from Downunder, Sean.

You sound like you will fit in nicely. Welcome to the family.
Cheers
Dave

"And I'm lost, and I'm lost
I'm lost at the bottom of the world
I'm handcuffed to the bishop and the barbershop liar
I'm lost at the bottom of the world
"
[Tom]
Merlin
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:57 am

Hi Sean,

Welcome - although I am very new here, too....seeing this post has reminded me how rude I was when I walked in here...

Will have to make an introductory post now :roll: :mrgreen: