Hi From Newby

If you're new to the forum and want to introduce yourself, this is the place.
westonalan
antispam: no

Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:11 pm

Hello, Good Evening and Welcome to all poetry lovers.

My name is Alan, I only really got interested in writing poetry about 6 years ago after my father died of cancer in 2003. My father had written over 125 poems about his life and I inherited them after he died and I felt it would be a shame to destroy them or do nothing with them. After failed attempts to try and get some published, I decided to design a website to publish my fathers poems on the internet with the aim to raise funds for Cancer Research UK.
My website is called Poetry 4 Charity and I am slowly building it up by attracting poets to contribute poetry and getting readers and businesses to donate money to one of many charities that I have listed.
I run the site totally voluntary and not for profit, so far I've raised over £400 for different charities, have over 290 poems listed and 14 poets (including myself and my father)
Before I wrote this thread i did seek permission from a moderator and I must apologise if I upset any members with the content of this thread and if anyone as any objections about it, please feel free to PM me.
Please remember I am not gaining financial from this, it is all for Charity fund raising!
Thanks any help.
Alan
Alan
Writing poetry to raise funds for Cancer Research UK
BenJohnson
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:28 pm

Welcome Alan, I would be surprised if anyone gets upset by the content of your thread, anyone that promotes poetry in any form should be welcome. Will we see more of you here or is this just a flying visit?
westonalan

Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:26 pm

BenJohnson wrote:Welcome Alan, I would be surprised if anyone gets upset by the content of your thread, anyone that promotes poetry in any form should be welcome. Will we see more of you here or is this just a flying visit?
Hi Ben,
I am planning on making regular visits, contributing some of my own poetry and hopefully pursuading you great poets to help raise funds for charity.
I am quite busy doing other things and only get the chance to run my website in my spare time. But I'm trying everything to promote poetry and raise funds for Charity. I've tried contacting famous poets, Ian McMillan and Pam Ayres, but they both declined. :(
I was interviewed on BBC Radio Sheffield two weeks ago, but only managed to get one person to respond to my plea for help.
I've even tried writing to Mohammed Fayed (Harrods Owner) to get help because of the poems my father had wrote about Princess Diana and Dodi. He kindly wrote back giving me permission to publish the poems.

I'm becoming to be addicted to POETRY, a bit late in life as I am 54 years old. :D

Regards
Alan
Alan
Writing poetry to raise funds for Cancer Research UK
BenJohnson
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:02 pm

westonalan wrote: I'm becoming to be addicted to POETRY, a bit late in life as I am 54 years old. :D
I shouldn't worry about that Thomas Hardy only started publishing poetry in his 50's so I guess age isn't an issue. :D
Sharra
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:39 pm

Welcome to PG Westonian. It's never too late to get into poetry and I think what you're trying to do with your site is really great :)
Sharra
xx
It is at the edge of the
petal that love waits