Hello everyone

If you're new to the forum and want to introduce yourself, this is the place.
Helen Bywater
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster
antispam: no

Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:59 pm

Hi, I'm Helen. It's nice to be here.

I wrote poetry intensively for about three years, some years ago, but then became blocked for so long that I gave up. Since then, I've gone back to writing, but not poetry until very recently. I joined a Facebook group, and started posting some of my old work. It's been a useful exercise for easing myself back into writing poems. I'd never had much feedback before. I knew it would be helpful, but I never realised how useful critiquing other people's poems would prove to be. It's really helped develop my critical faculties, and that helps me judge my own work as well as other people's. I've just started working on some new poems, and I feel I'd like to have more constructive criticism than I've been getting. I'm not sure whether to count myself as a beginner or experienced - although I did write quite a lot, it was more like song lyrics at first, gradually turning into poetry, and this is a new beginning - but I might plunge in the deep end, as it were. I can take the criticism, but feel free to send me packing if you think I belong with the beginners. :)
Perplexing Poster
stuartryder
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:47 am

Hello Helen

Welcome from a fellow weaver. I think you'll find this a great place to stay. I too spent a few years writing song lyric style "poems", but this place helped me get where I am now.

Stick with Experienced for now... my, er, experience is that the poems are what's assessed so you won't be encouraged to Beginners unless your poems want to go there!

Cheers

Stuart
Helen Bywater wrote:Hi, I'm Helen. It's nice to be here.

I wrote poetry intensively for about three years, some years ago, but then became blocked for so long that I gave up. Since then, I've gone back to writing, but not poetry until very recently. I joined a Facebook group, and started posting some of my old work. It's been a useful exercise for easing myself back into writing poems. I'd never had much feedback before. I knew it would be helpful, but I never realised how useful critiquing other people's poems would prove to be. It's really helped develop my critical faculties, and that helps me judge my own work as well as other people's. I've just started working on some new poems, and I feel I'd like to have more constructive criticism than I've been getting. I'm not sure whether to count myself as a beginner or experienced - although I did write quite a lot, it was more like song lyrics at first, gradually turning into poetry, and this is a new beginning - but I might plunge in the deep end, as it were. I can take the criticism, but feel free to send me packing if you think I belong with the beginners. :)
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:31 am

Helen Bywater wrote:Hi, I'm Helen. It's nice to be here.

Hello, welcome. That's an excellent introduction! You are spot on about the benefits of critiquing. Looking forward to seeing your stuff.
fine words butter no parsnips
BenJohnson
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:19 am

A big welcome Helen, it sounds like you have come to the right place. Good feedback from people whether positive or negative can help so much to improve the way we write and make us think about what we are trying to achieve. I have found a good balance between honesty and encouragement here hope you do to.

Ben
Helen Bywater
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:47 am

Thank you all for making me welcome. :)
Perplexing Poster
Sharra
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:14 am

Hi Helen :)
Nice to meet you and welcome to PG. I look forward to reading your poems and your crits.
Sharra
xx
It is at the edge of the
petal that love waits
Helen Bywater
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:27 am

Hi Sharra :)

Nice to meet you, too. Thanks for the welcome.

I love your signature.

Helen
Perplexing Poster
Helen Bywater
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:39 pm

Hello again!

I've been away for so long that I thought I'd better reintroduce myself. Hope you're all doing well, and enjoying your writing.

Last time I was here I was trying to rework some old stuff as a way back into writing. I got some very helpful feedback, and tried to rewrite some of my poems, but in the end found myself somewhat stumped. Sometimes poems are very much of the time when you wrote them, and better left alone if too much time has passed.

Since then I haven't written much - a sequence of haiku a while ago, but that was about it.. until yesterday, when I suddenly had an idea, and wrote something that came together quite quickly. I would very much like your feedback, but of course I shall critique some poems myself first. I've read a couple with interest, but realised how out of practice I am at critiquing - I felt at a bit of a loss as to what to say. So please bear with me - I'll do my best!

It's nice to be back. :)

Helen
Perplexing Poster
Nash

Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:58 pm

Hello Helen,

I don't think that we've met before, I must have got started here during your absence.

Look forward to reading what you have to offer.

All the best,
Nash.
Suzanne
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi Helen, welcome back,
Suzanne
Helen Bywater
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Hello Nash,

It's nice to meet you. I look forward to reading your work.

Hello again, Suzanne.

Thanks, both, for the welcome. :)

All the best,
Helen
Perplexing Poster
JohnLott
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:42 pm

Hello Helen

Enjoy your stay

:)

j.
Before you shave with Occam’s razor - Try epilation or microlaser
David

Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:05 pm

Yes, welcome back Helen. Good to see you again.

Cheers

David