Hello poets and all

If you're new to the forum and want to introduce yourself, this is the place.
Terreson
antispam: no

Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:42 pm

Hello all. I've been looking for a new poetry board, new to me that is, and a friend recently reminded me that your board is associated with the IBPC consortium. (Over the years I've come to admire Rus Bowden tremendously. If he says a board is good to go it is good to go.) So I figure to see how everyone here chases down the roebuck in the thicket, so to speak, and maybe chase along after it with you.

I am stateside, living down in Katrina, Rita, and Gustav world. Age 59 almost. My daytime job puts me between the bayous where I work with honey bees. The work is research centered. I am an insect biology technician who assists experts conducting experiments, the purpose of which is to solve various problems honey bees encounter. Truth be told the work presents the first real competition my poetic career has ever had to face. Poetry has been my vocation since age 16. I think I have six or seven collections, all but one unpublished (and I wish it still was too); also a sometime novelist, essayist, and general prose maker.

Well, let me look around and get a feel for how ya'll proceed. Thanks for accepting my application.

Terreson
David

Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:20 pm

Hello, Terreson (interesting monicker), and welcome. Hope you find the place to your liking.

We are a very recent entrant to the IBPC sphere of influence, and we're still feeling our way a bit, as you may see from some of our discussions. Rus seems like a thoroughly good guy anyway.

You should get to know our Ros. She's a sciency kind of a girl.

Anyway, right pleased to make your acquaintance.

David
Terreson

Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanks for the welcome, David. The name has been with me since '91 or so when I registered material with the U.S. L of C. Shoot it has become more natural to me than my street-name.

I'll look for the board's IBPC discussions. While I've never had direct dealings with the association I am a great fan of Rus Bowden. He is that rare type devoted to poetry as a thing in itself.

I'll look for Ros's writings too who, I'm sure, can out-science me any day of the week. Thanks again.

Terreson
Ros

Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:56 pm

By the way, Terreson, if I'm correct in thinking this remark was made by you : "On a member’s side of the divide, it is clear that moderators are allowed more liberties than they are. And among members it is generally recognized that a moderator’s own poem should not be taken too closely to account, that a deferential comment, even if falsely given, is best. " I hope very much you'll find it doesn't apply here! Apologies if this was not you, and you don't know what I'm talking about...

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:40 am

Ros wrote:By the way, Terreson, if I'm correct in thinking this remark was made by you : "On a member’s side of the divide, it is clear that moderators are allowed more liberties than they are. And among members it is generally recognized that a moderator’s own poem should not be taken too closely to account, that a deferential comment, even if falsely given, is best. " I hope very much you'll find it doesn't apply here! Apologies if this was not you, and you don't know what I'm talking about...

Ros
Ros, I do appreciate honesty. I think I probably prize it more than anything else except for one other thing. Those are my words, taken from the old Pee in the Pool essay I guess is still in circulation, or at least still available online. The vantage point for the particular quote you cite was taken by one who had been on both sides of the equation: a moderator and poetry chatroom host made queasy, uneasy by certain deferences to his poetry and by a board member who noted same differences. Since then I've become a site owner of a poetry board and still looking to break down certain barriers online.

I am not looking here for the same systemic problems my essay identified. I am looking for poetry, for poets, and for the sometime conversation about poetics. Hell, it is what I've always looked for. Let me know if you find me uncomfortable.

Terreson
Ros

Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:01 am

Sounds as if we have the same aims, Terreson. I think it's easier to keep everything more laid back and concentrated on the poetry on a smaller board, and we're trying to keep it that way. I hope you enjoy the poetry (and the poets) here!

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:56 pm

Yes, ma'am. Likely we share the same aims. The poetry board system is something I believe in. Both because it democratizes poetry and because of the fine poetry I would not otherwise have access to.

Tere