A belated introduction

If you're new to the forum and want to introduce yourself, this is the place.
BuckMulligan

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi, I've only recently begun to write poetry. So far, almost all of it is very bad, but I think I'm slowly getting a little better.

I also enjoy reading poetry, and just wanted a place where I could both get feedback and feed back in turn. I looked around a bit and this place was by far the most attractive forum for it; it just seemed rather more grown-up than the other places. Or perhaps it was the .co.uk that attracted me.

It's nice to meet you all.
Ros
antispam: no

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:03 pm

A rhyming sonnet with meter isn't bad for a beginning! Glad to have you here.

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:11 pm

Hello Buck,

Welcome aboard, glad to have you here. We are quite a grown-up bunch I think, with juvenile tendencies on occasion.

Any poetic preferences in your reading?

All the best,
Nash.
BuckMulligan

Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi Ros and Nash.
A rhyming sonnet with meter isn't bad for a beginning! Glad to have you here.
Thanks very much -- at the moment, I find it quite difficult not to write without some sort of formal constraint. Sometimes it's metrical, sometimes it's rhyme, often it's both. I don't know if this'll change. The disadvantage, as you've already noted, is that the poems can end up extremely trite or forced, and indeed often they do. It's good practice and good fun though.
Any poetic preferences in your reading?
Unsurprisingly I suppose, I love Shakespeare and Donne - and Herbert's good fun as well. I like aspects of the Romantics, though I find it very difficult to read Wordsworth and Coleridge for pleasure. Byron's great fun, though, and Keats is excellent. Tennyson and Hopkins are almost the only Victorian poets I actually enjoy reading, unfortunately. Moving into the 20th Century, I love Eliot, Auden, Larkin, Walcott, Heaney and Simon Armitage isn't half bad either. Geoffrey Hill, when I can understand him (rarely), is just fantastic.

My tendencies are definitely on the "dead white male" side of things (for poetry - I'm a bit less stuffy with novelists), but I'm always seeking to widen my reading. Those are just the poets that I read most willingly. Part of the reason I signed up here was because I wanted to read new stuff.
Ros
antispam: no

Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:04 pm

We do have our share of dead white males here <ducks...> but the rest of us are pretty lively!

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:07 pm

BuckMulligan wrote:I find it very difficult to read Wordsworth and Coleridge for pleasure. Byron's great fun, though, and Keats is excellent.
QFW, as they say on the internets.
fine words butter no parsnips
David

Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:02 pm

Nice to meet you too.

Cheers

David
Antcliff
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:24 pm

Welcome indeed.