Hello all

If you're new to the forum and want to introduce yourself, this is the place.
CiaranBlackburn

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:43 pm

Hello all,

I'm new to poetry, I love to read but have never tried putting pen to paper myself, after a recent flash of inspiration I've decided to give it a go.

I am 21, English and in full time education. I study Marine Biology/Zoology at Bangor University (or Prifysgol Bangor if you siarad Cymraeg) in North Wales.

A little bit about me, my favourite author is George Orwell, I love music (although everyone says that) and enjoy competing in combat sports such as Muay Thai (Thai kickboxing).

I hope to develop myself as a writer with the guidance of forums such as this.

Thanks for reading.
David

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:19 pm

Hello Ciaran, and thank you for introducing yourself formally (and also, I see, for reading the forum guidelines as well). It's what we prefer, it helps to oil the running of the place, and it's fairly infrequent nowadays. So you are a welcome throwback.

Heck, you're welcome anyway.

Who - if I may ask - have you been reading lately?

One of our number - Mr Antcliff (aka Seth) - has recently had a photo published in a Bangor magazine. Never been there myself, but I can sometimes see the North Wales coast from where I live, so who knows? Maybe I'm seeing Bangor.

Hope you enjoy yourself here anyway.

Cheers

David
David

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:38 pm

Ahem. Seth has pointed out that I have got the two Bangors - Welsh and Irish - mixed up. Sorry about that.

David
CiaranBlackburn

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:53 pm

David wrote:Hello Ciaran, and thank you for introducing yourself formally (and also, I see, for reading the forum guidelines as well). It's what we prefer, it helps to oil the running of the place, and it's fairly infrequent nowadays. So you are a welcome throwback.

Heck, you're welcome anyway.

Who - if I may ask - have you been reading lately?

One of our number - Mr Antcliff (aka Seth) - has recently had a photo published in a Bangor magazine. Never been there myself, but I can sometimes see the North Wales coast from where I live, so who knows? Maybe I'm seeing Bangor.

Hope you enjoy yourself here anyway.

Cheers

David
Thank you for the warm welcome, David.

I am currently reading Bram Stoker's Dracula, Fyodor Dostoevsky - Crime and Punishment, Tacitus - The Annals of Imperial Rome and Orwell on truth (segments of his work as both a novelist and journalist which convey his attitudes towards objective truth during the early-mid 20th century).

The mix up between the two Bangors is actually quite common.
Antcliff
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:41 pm

Greetings, Ciaran

Thanks for the introduction and greeting. Welcome to PG. :D

Not read any Orwell in years...the last time was A Homage to Catalonia.

Seth
We fray into the future, rarely wrought
Save in the tapestries of afterthought.
Richard Wilbur
CiaranBlackburn

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:59 am

Antcliff wrote:Greetings, Ciaran

Thanks for the introduction and greeting. Welcome to PG. :D

Not read any Orwell in years...the last time was A Homage to Catalonia.

Seth
Hello Seth,

Thank you for the warm welcome. Looking forward to reading your work.

Ciaran
David

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:09 pm

CiaranBlackburn wrote:
Thank you for the warm welcome, David.

I am currently reading Bram Stoker's Dracula, Fyodor Dostoevsky - Crime and Punishment, Tacitus - The Annals of Imperial Rome and Orwell on truth (segments of his work as both a novelist and journalist which convey his attitudes towards objective truth during the early-mid 20th century).

The mix up between the two Bangors is actually quite common.
You're very welcome.

If you're going to be writing poetry, I would suggest you get into reading some as well. (It's essential really. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.)

There are some good anthologies that are full of great stuff. I like The Rattle Bag, but you might prefer Staying Alive.

Cheers again

David

P.S. I enjoyed Dracula, but telling the story in epistolary form definitely has its funny side.