Pseud's Corner

"There's more to life than books you know, but not much more."
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:48 pm

The Tate Modern art gallery has paid £152,000 for an oval shaped billiard table with no pockets. Here's what they have to say about it -

The shape and lack of pockets deny the traditional function of a games table while drawing attention to its visual qualities.

I suppose it emphasizes purest green as well! What a load of pretentious bollocks.

Damien Hurts
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:29 pm

barrie wrote:The Tate Modern art gallery has paid £152,000 for an oval shaped billiard table with no pockets.
If it's oval-shaped and has no pockets, is it still a billiards table?
fine words butter no parsnips
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:35 pm

No, it's art (?)

According to BBC news, they say it's a billiard table - it had three balls on it in the picture. It's all balls to me.

Art lover
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:18 pm

I think it would be better if it had one pocket. Then you'd have a game with no difficulty - a relentless pot, pot, pot, replace, pot, pot, pot, replace.

Sorry, I'm starting to get into this...
fine words butter no parsnips
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:28 pm

You could end up going blind.

Then again, there doesn't seem to be any cues, unless they're conceptual abstract cues that only appear when you can appreciate them.

How long before they exhibit a naked mannequin entitled 'The Emporer's New Clothes' - somebody would pay a fortune for it.
beautifulloser
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:18 am

I dont really feel very clued about on the nuance of this bollocks either Barrie.

But isn't it just the perspective on things, the dynamic between things as opposed to what they actually ARE. Art used to be about things that were nice to see, hear, feel but a lot of artistic avenues have already been explored there from the renaissance. This mode of thought I guess originated with Warhol in the 60's popularising everyday things/images. Isn't the "statement" or whatever about the utilitarian value that is put on things. Art is there to make you think and reflect something in you and me of how we perceive that "art", it's worth - that billiard should be on the scrap heap, because it has missing pockets and balls. I agree with your take on how it's perceived, I guess it's down to others to make their minds up. . .

. . .I am not saying the billiard table (even if it is in the finest fucking oak) nor the concept is worth £152,000 mind. The fact it has the value (for the art dealers?) just adds to the PR I guess, but I don't think in either event it's not valid art, which is whatever you think is valid . . .

fuck it, that's how I see it,
allbeit, I'm bored of the concept already

Nob Cheese Arty Type Wannabe
I'm sick of it, sick of it all. I know I'm right and I don't give a shit!
David

Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:13 am

On my one baffled but not entirely unenjoyable wander round Tate Modern, a few years ago, I found the infamous exhibit of a glass of water on a shelf, with a notice saying that it is actually an oak tree. I quite liked it.

On the other hand, I utterly renounce the works of Tracy Emin and her ilk.
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:22 pm

I don't know whether Warhol started it or not, but he didn't help - bloody soup cans!

David - You should get over to the Lakes and visit our famous oak forest - It's called Lake Windermere. I'm thinking of paying a visit to that well known lake where William Rufus was killed with a speargun - the New Forest.

Worlds upside-down, I say it's upside-down.

T.Turvey.
steve0

Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:18 am

Yeah,I think it would be better if it had one pocket.