Becketts poetry

"There's more to life than books you know, but not much more."
lars3939

Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:42 pm

Most readers of Samuel Beckett are well acquainted with his plays and prose, but few, even among his greatest admirers, are aware that Becket was a considerable, stunningly original poet. For historical reasons, Beckett’s poetry has for a long time neglected, poorly edited, and little studied. The new issue of FULCRUM attempts correct this aberration.

The special feature (185 pages) on “Samuel Beckett as Poet” in the current FULCRUM: an annual of poetry and aesthetics, Number 6, presents “Ceiling” and other previously uncollected texts by Samuel Beckett, drawings of Beckett from life by Avigdor Arikha, and essays by such Beckett authorities as Christopher Ricks, Marjorie Perloff, Eliot Weinberger, Anne Atik, S. E. Gontarski, Jean-Michel Rabaté, Simon Critchley, Chris Ackerley, Seán Lawlor, David Wheatley, Mark Nixon, Philip Nikolayev, Daniel Albright, and a previously unpublished conversation between Octavio Paz and Eliot Weinberger on Beckett’s English translation of An Anthology of Mexican Poetry.

From the editorial introduction to “Beckett as Poet”:

“It would not be an exaggeration to say that Beckett, one of the last century’s most sublime authors, still awaits his discovery as a major poet. His English lyric verse is not widely read, and in French, where he has not fared any better in this role, a selection of his poems graces an anthology of “neglected poets.” <…>
“Beckett’s work reveals the same masterful hand throughout. His poetry, as his other writings, is vivid and memorable and does not lack in genius. <…> Beckett’s poetry… is “authentic” in the sense that of all his literary writings, the poems are the most direct and personal, sometimes inspired by various events of the poet’s own life. <…> The initial difficulty will intimidate the timid, but I feel that the brightness and musicality of his lyric texts should be enough to entice the brave. I would like to suggest that in striving to understand Beckett as a poet, we must first of all trust his poetic sensibility on its own terms. He will yet surprise us again.
“<…>The following collection on “Beckett as Poet” in FULCRUM’s pages… is published in the hope of contributing to the incipient public awakening to Beckett’s poetry, and to defining its true place within his literary legacy. FULCRUM is immensely grateful to the Beckett estate, and to Faber & Faber, Grove Press, Les Editions de Minuit, and Cambridge University Press for their permission to reproduce poetry by Beckett, including uncollected and unpublished texts, and to quote from his unpublished correspondence.”

FULCRUM 6 (730 pages, offered at an artificially low price), the latest issue of this acclaimed literary annual, also includes three previously unpublished lectures by Robert Frost, a special section on “Poetry and Myth,” a debate between the poets John Kinsella and Rosanna Warren, and a full-length translation of George Seferis’s Thrush, as well as a great deal of leading current poetry and literary criticism.

Please visit HTTP://FULCRUMPOETRY.COM for more information (copy and paste the link if it doesn’t work). Click on “Issues” to view the complete table of contents, and on “Buy” to acquire the current or other issues.
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:09 pm

Neglected and little studied yes, though not on the PG forum: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4225

The special issue looks fascinating, but the website isn't working for me. How much does it cost?
fine words butter no parsnips
lars3939

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:43 pm

k-j wrote:Neglected and little studied yes, though not on the PG forum: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4225

The special issue looks fascinating, but the website isn't working for me. How much does it cost?
I was merely posting verbatim, I appreciate greatly this board and have enjoyed its wealth of knowledge.

Individual issue is 17 US I think more for abroad however with current exchange rates its quite the bargain.
PM if you wish to ask more
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:31 pm

"DanielEdwards"]Backets poetry is really nice for all genere and taste. He is a great poet.
Spam alert! Trash him please mods.
fine words butter no parsnips
Travis
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster
antispam: no

Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:11 pm

I dunno. I kinda like him. Writes all cute. :P

Alas, duty comes first and he has been smitten.
There's only one rule in street and bar fights: maximum violence, instantly. (Martin Amis, "Money")
BenJohnson
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster
antispam: no

Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:09 pm

Lol, you've trashed him, but the links are still in the quote, spammer wins :lol:
Nicola
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:23 pm

Gone now - thanks Ben.