A forum to join if this one closes

"There's more to life than books you know, but not much more."
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:24 pm

Well, it's official: No matter now nice I try to be, I offend people. I have found a new forum which could become our new home (if Kris decides to close PAT), but even though I was full of thank-you's and mea culpas, at least one person is now annoyed at me (I have apologized to him profusely). I like to say that I was born with my Repulser Beam turned on, and nothing I do shuts it off. This may be why some of you praise my poems with just a few words, and then say nothing else.

However, let me get to the forum.

It is, like all critique forums, dying, BUT two frequent posters there are keeping it alive (and others who drop in occasionally), AND it uses the exact same software that we use here. The owner doesn't seem happy that his site is under-utilized, so I don't think it's in danger of being closed.

Now, PAT has at least three people here who are writing at the highest level (no, I'm not including myself). The two fellows holding down the fort there are not that good, but they are nonetheless serious poets. They might not like having five people pile in from PAT, but they would accept it.

Now, Kris has just started accepting money to keep this place open, so maybe it's not the right time to leave, but I still thought I should tell you of this other forum. I'll share the name if there is any interest.
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:08 am

That is thoughtful, Caleb. I myself am happy here at present - having known the Eratosphere, I refer to this as "The nice poets' website" with my wife.

Cheers,
John
David

Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:03 pm

CalebPerry wrote:
I have found a new forum which could become our new home (if Kris decides to close PAT)
I don't think this one is beyond saving yet, Caleb. Let's hope it's not.
CalebPerry wrote:
This may be why some of you praise my poems with just a few words, and then say nothing else.
It's true, the comments on poems are not usually extensive here, but that's just the nature of the beast. Responses at Eratosphere, for instance, are much more profuse, but this - even when they're positive - can be a bit overwhelming. (When they're negative, it can be a dispiriting experience, but don't let the bastards grind you down.)

On the whole, though, I quite like it there. But the tone here is much lighter, and I like that too. And here, hopefully, there should always be a helpful nugget or two in even the briefest of responses. And, as John, says, a greater spirit of collegiate friendliness.

If you're getting praise, hey, take the praise. It's better than the alternative.

Cheers

David
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:15 am

You're right, of course, David, as I have been here many years myself, after the controversy I guess I created myself. However, on the other forum, I posted a poem that got non-specific praise here. On the other forum, I got more specific praise, and that allowed me to tighten the language up. Not that I'm complaining. I'll take praise whenever I can get it. It helped me see, though, that I sometimes over-write my poems. (I can see you all nodding your heads now.)
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.