literature or music?

How many poets does it take to change a light bulb?
pitseleh
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:10 pm

definately music for me.. havent really got any profound, insightful reason, music just comes more natural to me. playing, listening and appreciating. also i wasnt really raised on great novels or poetry starting off life on a council estate. thankfully ive enriched my life through books, but they werent there for me when music was...
Aren't people absurd! They never use the freedoms they do have but demand those they don't have; they have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech.
David

Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:16 pm

There's nothing quite so immediate or thrilling - no art-aesthetic experience, I mean - as a song or a piece that you love, is there?
Raisin
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:12 pm

Ah, but we did this in English lit, why can't a song count as literature? It's written word, and that's the dictionary definition, a poem is almost a set of lyrics, especially if it can be sung :) So I say both!
Raisin
In the beginning there was nothing, and it exploded. (Terry Pratchett on the Big Bang Theory)
PhilipCFJohnson
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster
antispam: no

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:18 am

Oh wow! What a cool discussion! I'm doing my dissertation on this exact topic! :)
I'll come back when I have some relevant findings to tell you all!!
Specto Nusquam
bobvincent
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:41 pm

Music, I'm afraid. I listen to the same songs over and over, but rarely return as often to literature, certainly not prose.
maya

Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:54 pm

This is a hard one for me, i have my books, which speak to me in a personal way and i return to , but then music, in all its different forms, provides a much rounder experience, so i think i will have to agree with everyone so far and say music, it is the medium that invokes the memories and places for me.
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:53 pm

"All art, therefore, appeals primarily to the senses, and the artistic aim when expressing itself in written words must also make its appeal through the senses, if its highest desire is to reach the secret spring of responsive emotions. It must strenuously aspire to the plasticity of sculpture, to the colour of painting, and to the magic suggestiveness of music--which is the art of arts."

- Joseph Conrad, preface to The Nigger of the Narcissus
fine words butter no parsnips