Writers block... a myth or just fear?

How many poets does it take to change a light bulb?
seeksthebalance

Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:31 pm

Hey,

I've been struggling recently to find any words to put my thoughts into. I've had plenty of inspiration around me but for some reason nothing has come out. I'm wondering how you guys feel about this. Do you often clam up even when you have things you want to say.

I think fear has a lot to do with this; fear because what I want to say is very important to me and that I might not do justice to it with my amateurish efforts.

Do any of you have any ways of overcoming writers block? Perhaps Arco you have some exercises that might help me to focus. All suggestions welcome.

Seeks.
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:48 pm

Hello there. The way I look at it is that "writer's block" is the normal state of affairs for anyone who cares about what they write - as you say, it's important to you. Nine times out of ten, if it seems obvious or instantaneous, coming unedited out of the ether, it's probably not great. If you look at it like that, it's not a case of having to "beat it" or "get over it". It's not a blockage - it's just that good writing is usually difficult.

So just graft at it. Use fridge poetry. Use a dictionary / rhyming dictionary / thesaurus / encyclopaedia. Use booze or drugs if you want - its a crapshoot but you might get a line or two that's useable. Google for some "creative exercises". Write down fragments, cross them out, write any old crap and refine, refine, and refine. Redraft endlessly. Of course, I don't mean stop eating / going out / shaving - that would be daft. But personally I don't think relying on inspiration or some exotic muse is a recipe for success.

The other thing I do when I'm stuck, which sometimes works, is forget about writing and just read for a day or three, just to remind myself that it can be done. Or, have a coffee and take a nice long crap.
pseud
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:12 pm

Use a dictionary / rhyming dictionary / thesaurus / encyclopaedia.
AHhh....sorry no that's never worked for me or anyone I know. Perhaps -perhaps - for minor editing it's alright, but a bad habit to form. I'd take the nice long crap any day.

Based on anecdotal evidence perhaps, but that's my stance.
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:37 pm

pseudonymous wrote:AHhh....sorry no that's never worked for me or anyone I know. Perhaps -perhaps - for minor editing it's alright, but a bad habit to form. I'd take the nice long crap any day.
Wow. Well, there you go. I'd be lost without my reference books.
Bombadil
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:38 pm

I like the rhyming dictionaries...they're fun.

And writer's block? Yep, I've had it--it's real--for like 3 years at a time. You still write and try, but it somehow just turns to shit on the page. I feel myself slipping into that, now, in fact. Scares the hell out of me.
camus
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:18 pm

Yep,

I'm right where you are Seeks. It is my ultimate frustration.

From my point of view I get so wrapped up in gaining inspiration from the "Greats" for me - Larkin, Hughes....................no thats it at the moment, I lose my own voice completely. Tend to think what's the fucking point?

Maybe try going back to basics, write as if you're putting pen to paper for the first time, write any old crap then take from that what you can, apply your new found skills to old style passion, it may just work!

I'd also agree with KJ, booze and drugs are fine inspirational tools, if you can handle them of course! Otherwise steer well clear, drive on the right. (Thats a disclaimer)

Good Luck.

Kris
http://www.closetpoet.co.uk
Derek

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:29 pm

You may have something new going on in your life and it is distracting you. I read through past poems to see how i once felt, that works for me too. What i do, and luckily like to do, is go for a walk with a book and a pen and think about whatever it is that is there. I mostly write myself little poems, little memories and as they are only for myself i feel that i am still writing and that way you have no one to disappoint as it is for you and only you. I like finding new places to write too. I hope this helps somehow.
seeksthebalance

Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:29 pm

Thanks guys,

All useful comments. I've handled my fair share of booze and other intoxicants down the years so I think perhaps I'll be driving on the right for the time being (be wary if you're in the leicester area).
forget about writing and just read for a day or three, just to remind myself that it can be done. Or, have a coffee and take a nice long crap.
was particularly useful advice. I think what I was trying to write about was too recent. I needed a bit of time to distance myself from the experience that inspired me in order to begin writing about it. I'll post what I've come up with soon although it's looking like it might be on the long side.

Seeks.