Sylvia Plath, Hack or Genius?

How many poets does it take to change a light bulb?
clemonz
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:29 am

i just picked up ariel.

i think she's a good poet, and more - tho i don't know what that "more" is, it's quite intense / harrowing.
"It is not necessary that a poem should rely on its music, but if it does rely on its music that music must be such as will delight the expert."
joe77evans
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:43 pm

I love Sylvia Plath's work, and I feel that I know more of her through her poetry than I could ever learn by reading about her. No doubt this is an illusion, but there it is... There are a number of writers, prose and poetry, who I feel the same way about - that their work rises above the detail of their outer lives in a way that seems almost mediumistic, channeling something that owed little to the detail of their mundane experience. Viewed like that, their biographies and bad habits don't really seem that important or even relevant.
David

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:33 pm

I've never been much of a fan, but I read this for the first time the other night and liked it very much ... http://www.americanpoems.com/poets/sylviaplath/1413
clemonz
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:10 pm

I think what she does to a fantastic or superb quality is EXPRESSIION but this isn't all that's real in poetry...

A talent!!
"It is not necessary that a poem should rely on its music, but if it does rely on its music that music must be such as will delight the expert."
clemonz
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:33 am

Snobs hint - apparently the best thing about Ariel is the repetition between poems.