About Poems - Quote by Auden.

How many poets does it take to change a light bulb?
unchained soul
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:39 am

What do you think of Auden's quote?

One demands two things of a poem. Firstly, it must be a well-made verbal object that does honor to the language
in which it is written. Secondly, it must say something significant about a reality common to us all, but
perceived from a unique perspective. What the poet says has never been said before, but,
once he has said it, his readers recognize its validity for themselves
- W. H. Auden Quote / Quotation
twelveoone
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:54 am

I think it is a great quote. Emphasis on "great". Auden perhaps wrote too "great". Firstly...I agree with. Secondly...I wonder what he meant by significant, but the unique perspective helps to keep it fresh.

Lastly, "What the poet says has never been said before, but,
once he has said it, his readers recognize its validity for themselves", I read this two ways, aviod preachiness and/or the reader should have the "joy of discovery". I find that the closer a poem comes to true greatness, one has the "joy of discovery" repeated over and over again. Mostly it is about craft, soemtimes about message.
unchained soul
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:49 pm

Id say he meant talking about a subject that everyone sees as important in life or about a subject that people consider important/worthwhile, but at the same time to show it with your own unique expression.

I agree with your view on what makes a great poem. I love those poems that are always fresh no matter how many times youve read them.

:D
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:00 pm

I think it's a fair enough definition. It's easy to produce a poem that conforms to the first requirement only, or to the second requirement only, but very hard to write a poem that satisfies both. I think most people acknowledge the second part - it's the "verbal object" bit that seems to be mostly ignored, presumably because it's difficult and takes too much time.
dillingworth
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:26 pm

I think Auden's spot on - poetry has to be beautiful, but it also has to say something: form together with function. Of course it's a demanding standard, as it's very difficult to say something "about a reality common to us all" whilst avoiding generalizations - I suppose that's where Eliot's objective correlative comes in.

For anyone interested, Auden's collection of essays/lectures "The Dyer's Hand" is well worth reading for more on his views on poetry and other things.