Les Murray - An Absolutely Ordinary Rainbow

How many poets does it take to change a light bulb?
David

Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:56 am

I'd like to propose this for general reading.

http://www.lesmurray.org/pm_aor.htm
Antcliff
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:16 pm

Still struck by the emphasis on dignity.....that the weeping is in a dignified way + (the end) there is a the dignity of "having wept". You might even read it as having dignity as a central theme.

Seth
We fray into the future, rarely wrought
Save in the tapestries of afterthought.
Richard Wilbur
OwenEdwards
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:12 pm

This one came up in that essay I mentioned, David. Absolutely crackerjack poem, typical of early Murray in his expression being a little more circumlocutive (he's the reverse Geoffrey Hill).
David

Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:17 am

Antcliff wrote:Still struck by the emphasis on dignity.....that the weeping is in a dignified way + (the end) there is a the dignity of "having wept". You might even read it as having dignity as a central theme.
Yes, but his religion shines out of it as well, don't you think? We have to recognise it, even if we don't share it.
OwenEdwards wrote:This one came up in that essay I mentioned, David. Absolutely crackerjack poem, typical of early Murray in his expression being a little more circumlocutive (he's the reverse Geoffrey Hill).
The reverse Geoffrey Hill! That's a great thought, Owen. Must think about that some more, though - isn't GH circumlocutive as well? I haven't read enough of him to be sure.
Antcliff
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:54 am

Yes, but his religion shines out of it as well, don't you think? We have to recognise it, even if we don't share it.
Not sure. A common need for weeping comes out.
We fray into the future, rarely wrought
Save in the tapestries of afterthought.
Richard Wilbur
David

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:05 pm

Antcliff wrote:
Not sure. A common need for weeping comes out.
True. I could be reading something into it, rather than reading something in it. I've done that before.
OwenEdwards
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:14 pm

I suppose that his understanding of our common need for weeping is informed by his faith.

I rather meant by "reverse Geoffrey Hill" that Les becomes easier to read in his later work, where Hill becomes progressively harder til eventually you rather imagine he's working with the Navaho coders to make an unbreachable fortress of semantics.