Poetry Engine

How many poets does it take to change a light bulb?
bodkin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no
Location: Two inches behind my eyes just above the bridge of my nose.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:15 pm

http://www.ianbadcoe.uk/p/poetry-engine.html

This may need some more development, but I have created a tool to help poets find those awkward words. You know when you are sure that a word exists and that it's meaning is *thus*, and its sound is *so*, and that it often comes after *yadda yadda*.

Well here is a tool to help with all that. In here you can set a rhyme and a meaning, and get the words that fit both restrictions. Or you can go with sounds-like "fact" and is-an-adjective-often-used-to-describe "man".

Give it a try. Report bugs in the page comments, or here, or by hiring a town-crier to shout them outside my window at 3 a.m...

This is by way of a first attempt. I am not sure that this is the best sort of interface for accessing this sort of information, but it was easy-ish to do this way as a start...

Any feedback gratefully received.

Ian
http://www.ianbadcoe.uk/
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:31 pm

Hi Ian.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I had a look at your Poetry engine
and when I looked for a rhyme with Fool and clicked example , Tree came up.
I then tried the same word with a complex example and I was offered the word Fight :o

Can you please tell me where I'm going wrong.
Thanks, :)
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:09 am

Just spent 10 minutes with it and it works great, I'm particularly impressed by the "related words" and the consonant match.

If I ever get back to writing poems, this will take the place of rhymezone and thesaurus.com for me. It's a one stop shop, as they used to say 10 years ago. Nobody says "one stop shop" any more (thank god).

Pauline - don't click on the "example" link. Just type in your word and scroll down for the results.
fine words butter no parsnips
bodkin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:22 am

Thanks k-j!

Replacing rhymezone is particularly appropriate, because this is actually a different view of the same database. The thesaurus is I think a bigger database (within its own speciality) so you may still want that from time to time.
k-j wrote:Pauline - don't click on the "example" link. Just type in your word and scroll down for the results.
Maybe I should add an explanatory note, a couple of people have been confused by the absence of a "go!" button...

Ian
David

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:09 pm

This seems brilliant to me, Ian. Is it as great an achievement as I seem to think it is?

And it gave me a rhyme for orange!
bodkin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:48 pm

I don't know how "great" it is...

Most of the credit goes to DataMuse with their free API for answering these sorts of questions. What I did (above RhymeZone, for example) was add a user interface that lets you ask more than one of the questions simultaneously.

The other ideas I had were:

1) having it build a word-cloud based around one or more seed words, with words clustered around those according to how "close" they are. You could change how much things like meaning and rhyming contribute to "closeness" and see the cloud adjust...

2) have you enter two words and search for any words that relate to both of them in anyway...

Ian