Japanese Poetry

How many poets does it take to change a light bulb?
Macavity

Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:47 pm

Knowing nothing, but learning something about contemporary Japanese poetry and the challenges of translation from this podcast :

https://www.scottishpoetrylibrary.org.u ... -hagiwara/

There is a bit of performance poetry that is too dramatized for my tastes, but otherwise an informative programme.

Phil
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:18 pm

Thanks for posting this, MacPhil; I know nothing too! Sometimes I'm able to listen to things while exercising, so I'll try to fit this in soon :)

On my way to Chortles now... 🐗
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:10 pm

The octopus, MacPhil 😭🐙

I listened to most of this during one of today's exercise sessions. I say 'most' because parts of it, including the performance bits, were very loud and I had to turn down the volume so as not to disturb the neighbs. Then it was very quiet and I couldn't really hear anything, lols. But I think I got the gist 👍
Macavity

Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:29 am

😂 Sorry about that neighbour disturbance Fliss. Apparently Japanese poetry has no rhyme and no pentameter :shock: Another interesting fact, according to the translator, Japanese has fifty vowel sounds and English has 2000!

Bw

Phil
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:49 am

Well, I've some strange neighbs here, MacPhil. The chap in no. 8 has some form of OCD and always has to close his front door three times, very loudly. Then yesterday I thought I'd try recording my pigeon song, only for someone upstairs to start shouting. Anyway, I remember that bit about no rhyme and no pent, and also the info about vowel sounds, very interesting! I really enjoy listening to poetry programmes while I'm exercising 😳