Copyright

How many poets does it take to change a light bulb?
Macavity

Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:25 am

I thought I post this UK guidance on copyright to help folk:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... e%20author.
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:37 am

I understand your concern Mac, although I would say I think it's low risk for PAT. I'd be more concerned about these poetry websites that are like a flashing jackpot machine of adverts clearly making revenue from the traffic.

All of the poems I've copied are ones where I have paid for hardcopy on the shelves at home if there was ever any come back. It's a genre designed to be shared in passing as well as at major occasions.
Last edited by Morpheus on Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:47 am

In the US, they tend to extend copyright in Congress, to protect Disney, so goes the story - it is literally called the Mickey Mouse Law in the business.

For my celebrity cage match series, my cutoff has been 1923, a solid century, but I've not done 70 years from the author's death. Kipling died in 1935, so that works. De La Mare died in 1956 (I just Googled), so I can make a link to his poem instead. Owen of course was long gone.

Thanks Phil! Valuable info.

Cheers,
John
Macavity

Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:13 am

Thanks both. I hope the link helps.

Bw

Phil
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:41 am

It does. :)

John
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:25 am

Yes, there's no problem posting links from my perspective either. The fact we have a UK hosted domain gives me some degree of confidence too regarding the likelihood of success of any potential litigation. :lol:
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:55 am

I'm pretty sure that copyrights were extended to 95 years in the U.S. That was done two or three decades ago. The clock starts ticking on a work the day it is published. That will make it difficult to prove, years after it happened, that some online journal printed your poem, after the journal has ceased publication and the site is deleted.

The Fair Use doctrine says that you can use another person's work in the process of creating your own work. So, if I wanted to, I could take someone else's poem and analyze it without asking for permission (the analysis of the poem is my own "work"). I have done that a couple times.

I'm just throwing in what I know.
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.