Will you come a Waltzing Matilda with me?

How many poets does it take to change a light bulb?
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:51 pm

I'm heading off to Australia at the end of next week and I'm taking a copy of John's Allegro in my tucker bag. I've booked a performance poetry slot at Vibe Union, Melbourne on 5th July at around 7pm and my intention is to read some of John's Clerihews then follow it up with my Kangaroo ones ...and perhaps one of two other poems if there's time.

https://www.vibeunion.com.au/

I don't know if there are any active Aussies on here at the moment but I'm looking forward to meeting the locals.

Wish me luck!
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:55 pm

Hey Morph, if they zoom the session I'd love to try to watch some of it on the 5th! On the 4th, of course, I will be celebrating America's Declaration of Independence, as one does!

I am very glad to think a crowd in Melbourne will hear our collective clerihews. :)

Cheers,
John
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:22 pm

Thanks, the plan is that I'll bask in the reflected glory of your poems John and then the crowd will be whipped up into a frenzy before I get to my stuff.

They're going to email me some performer's instructions they said so perhaps that'll explain what they're doing with streaming or zoom etc. Their email response to my material was:

"These are fantastic! I think they'll stand out at our night which will be brilliant."

Melbourne is currently 9 hours ahead of BST. Where will you be in the world on the 5th John?
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:52 pm

I'll be just about halfway around the planet, in Boston MA. :)

Great to hear the response your poems got from the organizers!! Best of luck!

Cheers,
John
David

Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:57 pm

Wow. Good for you, Morph. And good luck!

David
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:38 pm

Thanks David. Those poor bohemian looking Aussies will be too busy gleaming about The Ashes to lay into my light verse hopefully and I'm certain they will enjoy John's.

It'll be interesting to see what other kinds of poetry gets read. I expect they will be quite welcoming of all styles based on the accepting views on race, LGBT+ etc. on their website.
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:26 am

The Ashes! I've not heard that phrase in a few years. I hope cricket at least is in good order these days.

It sounds like a welcoming place. That is most welcome!

Cheers,
John