Expanding your Vocabulary

How many poets does it take to change a light bulb?
Thomas
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:42 pm

Hi all recently i have posted some of my poems and i have already explained in my introduction post,that poetry is a recent discovery of mine whilst i have received some excellant advice and criticism as in for showilg a poem instead of telling i find myself in uncharetered terrotry
lets say..I have had a limited education which is something i aim to ammend as for my writing of poetry i am trying to grasp the use of more descriptive words in my poems and the use of metaphors and similies etc.

I have been reading some poetry by other poets and find there use of words does infact achieve painting a picture in my mind whilst reading their poetry,so i am now trying to incorparate some of these techniques into my poetry by going over my poems,this i am finding enjoyable as well as new as my volcabery is limited i feel,does anyone else use a special technique to construct their work?as in do you write about what you feel then amend words with the aid of books or dictionaries etc i would be grateful if anyone could possably advise on how they devise their work as in preperation etc..
Kind Regards Thomas...
Bombadil
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:53 pm

rhymezone.com

Not only a great (free) rhyming dictionary, but it also allows searches for definitions, synonyms and the like.
Thomas
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:55 pm

Absolon's Sword wrote:rhymezone.com

Not only a great (free) rhyming dictionary, but it also allows searches for definitions, synonyms and the like.

Thank you for that addi Absolons Sword,i shall take a look.
Thomas..
Imagination is more important than knowledge,knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.