Wordsworth, Southey and Bunting

How many poets does it take to change a light bulb?
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin
antispam: no

Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:39 pm

Whilst in the Lake District this summer we visited Wordsworth's grave in Grasmere (I hadn't been there for 20 years). Unfortunately the moment was somewhat shattered by the arrival of a coach party brandishing camcorders. However, while visiting Southey's grave at the beautiful church of St. Kentigerns outside Keswick we had the place to ourselves.

But best of all was the grave of Basil Bunting at the Quakers graveyard at Brigflatts near Sedburgh. This is a truly tranquil and beautiful place. A few yards further down the lane lies the famous Brigflatts Friends Meeting House - founded in 1652. This really is a place where (in the words of T.S Eliot) : 'prayer has been valid.'
Greenman

Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:12 pm

It seems everwhere you go these days you come across coach loads of visitors with camcorders suck to their faces.
Hardy's Dorset is like this, any day across the summer months. This is why I don't visit these place anymore. Instead I head off like you in search of peace and quiet. One of the places I like is the North Norfolk Coast. A place where you can be with your thoughts, a place to sit and write poetry.
London, where I live is a far cry from Norfolk, places like Westminister Abbey (Poets Corner). Is full of loud brash Americans or camera happy Japanese 365 days a year!
Even in London you can find the odd quiet corner. One place I like sit and hide in is The Westminister Cemetery at Hanwell, Middlesex. In the spring the whole cemetery is a wash with cherry blossom. A beautiful sight to behold with ones eyes.

Greenman.
Middlesex, Uk.
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin
antispam: no

Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:35 pm

By strange coincidence, I happen to live in Norfolk. Yes, the North Norfolk coast is a wonderful place: Holkham (where the beach scene from 'Shakespeare in Love' was filmed), Salthouse, Brancaster, Thornham etc. One of my own poems 'Ornithologist' (see web site) is set at Cley where I used to go bird watching.

If you're looking for a truly quiet and tranquil church - check out Boulge Church in Suffolk - where E. Fitzgerald is buried. You need a degree in map reading just to find it.

C
Greenman

Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:45 am

cameron wrote:By strange coincidence, I happen to live in Norfolk. Yes, the North Norfolk coast is a wonderful place: Holkham (where the beach scene from 'Shakespeare in Love' was filmed), Salthouse, Brancaster, Thornham etc. One of my own poems 'Ornithologist' (see web site) is set at Cley where I used to go bird watching.

If you're looking for a truly quiet and tranquil church - check out Boulge Church in Suffolk - where E. Fitzgerald is buried. You need a degree in map reading just to find it.

C
By an even stranger coincidence- I am to an Ornithologist (RSPB & BTO Member) and my family comes from the famous Norfolk RSPB reserve - village of Snettisham. This is why I love the area so much. Even living here in Middlesex, I always feel more at home in Norfolk. I am up that way with the family in October for a week, weather permitting. I can't get by with my Norfolk 'fix'!

My manager, is off to Wells next week and we have been chating about the area and it's fine wines, beers & ciders. You can't beat a drop on Whin Hill cider (Wells Next to the Sea). I myself am lodging at Hunstanton 'Sunny Hunny' for the week, I have written one or two poems about the Wash.

Only the other day I came across a framed Map of Norfolk dating from about 1800's Hand painted on vellam. A bit damaged but, well worth the £10 I payed in a charity Shop in Ealing. And I week or two back I came across a poerty book with a book plate of the Rolfe family of Heacham Hall inside the front cover, a rare find indeed! As the Hall itself burnt down in 1898.

Cameron I will hunt out you poem 'Ornithologist' as I'd love to read it and as for the Suffolk tip I may check it out one day.

Yours

Andy W.
Greenman
Middlesex, Uk.