My Dry Spell!

How many poets does it take to change a light bulb?
PhilipCFJohnson
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster
antispam: no

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:12 am

Guys I'm having a massive dry spell right now! I've got serious poet's block! And it's not that there's nothing to write about either, my life hasn't changed at all!
I just feel like I've used all of my resources up! :(

Any tips on getting my poetic juices flowing once more? :(
Specto Nusquam
juliadebeauvoir
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:57 am

Try massive heartache. That usually does it for me!
Why not go to the photography section, pick a photo and get going?
Sometimes it just takes a few weeks to let things knock around in your head. If you are a perfectionist (like me) then it can take longer. I have learned that I need to loosen up a bit and not worry how 'perfect' it will come out.

Cheers,
Kim

P.S. You could always write about writer's block...
"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."
Sharra
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:56 am

My suggestions would be
1) to crit and store up lots of brownie points :wink:

2) to MAKE yourself write for 10 mins a day (time yourself). When I'm feeling like that, I randomly choose a first line from a poem and write it out and keep writing no matter what rubbish comes out. If you get stuck for words write the line again (and again if necessary). Try and write without reading what you're writing, don't expect it to make sense. (when Ive done this I've had words like wibbly wobble splishy splashy come out).
If 10 mins seems too long, try 5 or 7 for the first few days. This really really does work in the end :)

Hope that helps

Sharra
xx
It is at the edge of the
petal that love waits
Wabznasm
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:25 am

Also read a lot of poetry.
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:49 am

I've got no solution - I sympathise with you. Just forget about it, read something, relax, maybe set yourself a sonnet on a random subject (didn't work for me, though).
fine words butter no parsnips
Danté
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Get a muse, do something outrageous, cross-dress and spend the afternoon in a busy town.
If not, find some people who do, do risqué things and hang out with them.

Danté
to anticipate touching what is unseen seems far more interesting than seeing what the hand can not touch
PhilipCFJohnson
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:43 pm

Sharra wrote:My suggestions would be
1) to crit and store up lots of brownie points :wink:

2) to MAKE yourself write for 10 mins a day (time yourself). When I'm feeling like that, I randomly choose a first line from a poem and write it out and keep writing no matter what rubbish comes out. If you get stuck for words write the line again (and again if necessary). Try and write without reading what you're writing, don't expect it to make sense. (when Ive done this I've had words like wibbly wobble splishy splashy come out).
If 10 mins seems too long, try 5 or 7 for the first few days. This really really does work in the end :)

Hope that helps

Sharra
xx
Point 1: I'm on it! :D
Point 2: I really hate forcing myself to write. It feels like I'm damaging my imagination. I know that sounds silly but the best I can compare it too is exercising with a strained muscle. I don't think that method will be very productive for me personally, but for other people it probably does wonders. :(
Wabznasm wrote:Also read a lot of poetry.
That's whats so great about these forums...although I should hit the library too. :oops:
Danté wrote:Get a muse, do something outrageous, cross-dress and spend the afternoon in a busy town.
If not, find some people who do, do risqué things and hang out with them.

Danté
Lol Danté, you just described my entire life from when I was a pretentious teenager! :lol: Besides I don't think poor old Norwich is ready. I'm more of a lazy old cat that a yippy dog (personality wise) these days. :(

Thanks for all your tips guys, keep em coming if you like :D
I'll let you know when I finally get the words back. :?

All the best
Phil :)
Specto Nusquam
Ros

Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:28 pm

Reading a poet you enjoy is good and can inspire. Or try writing challenges - some other sites have them (and I think they would be a good idea here, hint hint) - I've had some surprising successes with them, stuff I wouldn't have written otherwise. The Wild forum has them (though the recent ones have been a bit dire) - I'm sure other people can suggest other sites.
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Prolific Poster

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:30 am

It finally broke!! :D

I just posted my new poem: "Self portrait"!

The winning advice came from:

Ros
(and Wabznasm)

After reading more of my favorite poet (Larkin), I was inspired by the way he used his rhyme structures so I set myself to write a poem with stanzas that adhered to an ABCABC rhyming pattern! My subject matter came to me...while I was on the toilet :oops: ... and the rest wrote itself! :)

I'm so glad I was able to write again! It was scary being removed from poetry for so long! :(

Thanks everyone for your handy tips! Especially Ros! :D
Specto Nusquam
Ros

Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:19 pm

Yea, do I get a prize? :D I'm glad you felt inspired. The only way now is up!
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Productive Poster

Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:29 pm

Here's a belated tip which has often worked for me. Google a painting which you like or one that intrigues you, an Old Master maybe, and simply describe it in words - the colours, the narrative, maybe the brushstrokes - very often a tangential idea sparks or evolves and eventually you have a poem which doesn't betray its genesis in the painting.