November Then

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
lo-lee-ta
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:28 pm

November Then

Sail upon old memories of you
Dreaming your words like you always do
You were weightless then

Filling your heart with the magical old
Black sheep, the master, three bags sold
And he was running then

Delicate, grounding of skies
Loosening old weathered ties
And they were wishing then

A powdering of noise and orange spark
November fireflies cover the dark
I was hoping then
gavin
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:44 am

so you were in love with some one may be he was running from the law, a person who climbed high gates,, sitting alone kidnapped by thought,,

now you carry this weight of memory. you finish every stanza with (then) and the rhyme,

i liked it very much because the villain had an impact on you Gavin
ray miller
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:47 pm

Has a pleasant wistfulness about it. I quite like the end lines finishing on "then".You have "old" in 1st, 2nd and 3rd verse."Sail upon memories of you" would do, as would "weather-worn ties"? I find all the pronouns you've used a bit difficult to keep track of! The nursery rhyme relevance is lost on me and "Delicate, grounding of skies" - it probably doesn't need the comma but even then I'm not sure what's meant. "A powdering of noise...." there's a great temptation to read noise as nose.
I'm out of faith and in my cups
I contemplate such bitter stuff.
David

Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:24 pm

I could imagine Van Morrison singing this. Of course, you might not necessarily regard that as a good thing. Still, I like the lyrical simplicity of it, and the vaguely haunting repetition of "then" (as well as the three beats in those lines).

Cheers

David
lo-lee-ta
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:34 am

gavin wrote:so you were in love with some one may be he was running from the law, a person who climbed high gates,, sitting alone kidnapped by thought,,

now you carry this weight of memory. you finish every stanza with (then) and the rhyme,

i liked it very much because the villain had an impact on you Gavin
Hi Gavin!

Thanks for taking the time to read my poem and comment. I'm really glad you liked it. I also like what you got from the poem, It was written with very little meaning to be honest, so i'm glad that somebody found some meaning in it! Thanks :)
lo-lee-ta
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:37 am

ray miller wrote:Has a pleasant wistfulness about it. I quite like the end lines finishing on "then".You have "old" in 1st, 2nd and 3rd verse."Sail upon memories of you" would do, as would "weather-worn ties"? I find all the pronouns you've used a bit difficult to keep track of! The nursery rhyme relevance is lost on me and "Delicate, grounding of skies" - it probably doesn't need the comma but even then I'm not sure what's meant. "A powdering of noise...." there's a great temptation to read noise as nose.
Hey Ray!
Lol, i didn't even realise I'd used 'old' so often, that is a little annoying now you've pointed it out. I'll re-jig it in a minute. Haha I can see the temptation of using 'nose' instead of 'noise', thats another thing i'll try and re-jig! It all just kind of comes out with very little meaning intended, hence the random addition of the nursery rhyme! Thanks a lot for taking the time to read and comment!
lo-lee-ta
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:39 am

David wrote:I could imagine Van Morrison singing this. Of course, you might not necessarily regard that as a good thing. Still, I like the lyrical simplicity of it, and the vaguely haunting repetition of "then" (as well as the three beats in those lines).

Cheers

David

Hey David!
No, I like Van Morrison so I take that as a big compliment :) Thank you for your comments and for reading, its very much appreciated! :)