Politics.

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
Gbn
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:09 pm

A quick missive..

Let's all stand up and right the wrongs, put the world to right
Sit and talk of genocide and all that other shite
A united voice that gives us choice to right the wrongs that matter
No! What we really need to do is stand up to Sepp Blatter.
David

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:08 pm

It's a good point, Gb. Frankie Boyle made a very similar point in the Guardian this week - http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... l-thatcher ... perhaps Sepp Blatter is just a monstrous panto distraction from the really important stuff.
ray miller
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:58 pm

Yes, agreed. The important thing about Blatter is that he's foreign. There's a belief in this country that bribery and corruption is something others do - despite all the evidence to the contrary.
For a 4 line poem there's a lot of repetition - right the wrongs, world to rights, right the wrongs(again).
I'm out of faith and in my cups
I contemplate such bitter stuff.
Gbn
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:11 pm

Let's all stand up and put the world right
Sit and talk of genocide and all that other shite
A united voice that gives us choice to change the things that matter
No! What we really need to do is stand up to Sepp Blatter.

Thanks for comments, was a bit of a knee jerk reaction, think above reads better..?
cynwulf
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:55 pm

yes it's better , gets the point over without the verbal clutter of the original. An appropriate comment on the relative blather of important and much less important we experience nowadays.
regards, c.
brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:14 pm

I'm not usually squeamish, or sensitive to such things, but lumping genocide in with "all that other shite", in a poem about corruption in sports administration, just seems very very wrong.

B.
Moth
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:02 pm

Agree with the above, also I feel the poem would be made stronger by adding other examples, no shortage of 'ight' rhymes.
to be totally honest... whenever you feel you really shouldn't write that, that's exactly what you should write.
EatMyPoetry

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:07 pm

brianedwards wrote:I'm not usually squeamish, or sensitive to such things, but lumping genocide in with "all that other shite", in a poem about corruption in sports administration, just seems very very wrong.

B.
I agree with you but this line highlights that more people wish to talk about Blatter than genocide, unfortunately.