The Devil Drives

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
kozmikdave
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:27 am

Isobel sent a thousand letters.
She only got one in return.
While losing hope a gypsy pressed a note into her palm.
And it told her to wait
but it wouldn’t be much longer
for a man alone is weakened
but a woman’s heart is strong.

Hostile jungle he explores
seeking conquest.
Speared and so close to death.
Still the devil drives!

Isobel waited for Richard so she could realize her passion.
She had seen off rich suitors while he lived on in oblivion.
She then married her scholar and soldier explorer
and she pulled strings behind scenes to soften his landing.

Burning desert he explores,
his tongue swollen and dry
Crawling toward safety
Still the devil drives!

Their parties drew in the cream of society because of
his tales of abduction, courage, and hunting big game.
An impassioned story of a lost Turkish princess
brought tears for different reasons to Isobel and Richard

Depressing river he explores.
He has lost the view of the skies,
his fortune and good name.
But still the devil drives!

The pen that he held was a double-edged saber;
Poetry oozing and bawdy tales of adventure;
1001 nights translating exotic tongues,
revealing to the world their erotic garden of delights.

Dim brothel he explores
in a cunning disguise
through the harems of sultans.
The devil drives!

From under her veil widowed Isobel empties the shelf.
She purges his histories and the animal truth inside herself.
Craving respectability she torches his diaries,
and out of the red smoke a spectre emerges.
The devil drives!

(Go easy - it's my first time!)
minim

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:35 pm

This is my first post - I am new to the forum, but on reading this I felt compelled to comment.

I read this through about four times, and each time I liked it more.

I am not sure that I am very good at writing critiques, poetry is such a personal thing, that if someone pulls it apart and analyses each line, it can sometimes kill the overall feeling of what is intended.

I felt sad for the lady left behind, waiting. Her beloved returning periodically with tales of adventure, writing it all down in diaries, that presumably she was given on his death.

What was the spectre that emerged from the burnt diaries? Her sudden realisation she had wasted her life away, waiting? That she had let her desire for him overshadow her need for a normal respectable existence? Was the devil sitting on her shoulder?

Thank you for posting your poem dave xxxx
kozmikdave
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:46 am

This is a poem about Richard Burton, the explorer/linguist/eroticist and his wife Isobel. She tried to have his journals destroyed when he died so she could re-invent his history. The title is a quote attributed to him. This is the basis for a song I am writing so wanted to throw it in.

Thanks for the positive feedback

Dave
minim

Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:16 pm

You are welcome :)

I thought it was from the old expression "needs must when the devil drives", which I guess means, you have to go, or you have to do something if the devil is making you. Anyway, I loved the poem, and good luck with the song.

xxxx minim
Skarp Hedin

Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:43 pm

Hello Dave,

Interesting poem here, I liked it. However, for some reason, I understood it best first time I read it and the more I read it the harder it is to fathom the meaning of it, if you wouldn't mind explaining the main concept. However, as regards the poem (judging by the title) a few things occurred to me that I would like to say to see if I am on the right lines, correct me if I have not got it right!

The first thing, the line on the 'hostile jungle', is it symbolic of the human soul and spiritual life...? It seems to be a good image used for the devil 'driving', giving the idea of persistence. Also emphasising persistence is the repetition of 'Still the devil drives!' at the end of every other stanza.

Secondly, the 'speared' can give the impression of a piercing persistence but also reminded me of the passion of Christ, the wound created with the Roman Spear in the side. Also the idea of Isobel's passion makes the role of women dominant over men (how they are able to share a 'passion' like Christ). To support this you also wrote in the first stanza that 'man alone is weakened but a woman's heart is strong'.
Good juxtaposition in the second line of the third stanza how women are more faithful and willing to live in self control 'while he lived on in oblivion'. Her determination shows through with the 'pulling strings'. Not so sure about the fourth stanza.

Slight irony seems to show through with his tales of heroism in the next stanza after he lived in 'oblivion' where it was the woman who was living more heroic than the man Richard. The satnzas that are shorter show the gradual degeneration of Richard in marriage and commitment? How he goes from the burning desert to depression to the brothel? Also, finally, the gradual disintegration of Richard because 'still the devil drives', thus showing in the ending how Satan wins over man but Isobel the woman is left undefeated. Does this turn the concept of the fall of man in Eden on it's head?

Again, this is from reading it twice and not sure whether I understand it but well written and let me know how wrong I am!

Hedin
kozmikdave
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:24 am

Gidday Hedin

I'll try to answer your questions:

"if you wouldn't mind explaining the main concept"

Richard Burton was an explorer, linguist, soldier, eroticist and general adventurer. His wife Isobel, fell in love with him at first sight and followed the predictions of local gypsies who foresaw her marriage to him. He wasn't particularly interested in marriage as he thought it would get in the way of his adventuring, but she was willing to follow him anywhere. Because of the erotic nature of much of his work, he was not highly regarded, but she lent him enough respectability to be able to explore and conduct his life in the way he wanted. She was more ambitious. When he died, she destroyed many of his journals with the view to rewriting his history and thus giving herself more respectability.

So the poem is split into two main ideas - her life and his. At first he is the one for whom the devil drives. At the end it is her who is driven. You might wish to look up his biography to fill in all the gaps.

The first thing, the line on the 'hostile jungle', is it symbolic of the human soul and spiritual life...?

In the story, I like to think of Richard as having the "animal nature" and Isobel being refined. To put it in spiritual terms is OK by me, but it was intended to be more literal.

Secondly, the 'speared' can give the impression of a piercing persistence but also reminded me of the passion of Christ, the wound created with the Roman Spear in the side. Also the idea of Isobel's passion makes the role of women dominant over men (how they are able to share a 'passion' like Christ). To support this you also wrote in the first stanza that 'man alone is weakened but a woman's heart is strong'.

My Christian past catching up with me? Wasn't intended but the story does have certain parallels. In truth it alludes to an event where he ran into a party of tribesmen intent on "long-long pig" for dinner.

Not so sure about the fourth stanza.

Stanzas 2, 4, 6, 8 all to do with his experiences and highlight the deprivation/danger he was willing to experience.

...woman who was living more heroic than the man Richard.

Isobel was always the stabilizing factor in their relationship. She put up with a lot of strange things to remain with the man who was part of her destiny.

The satnzas that are shorter show the gradual degeneration of Richard in marriage and commitment? How he goes from the burning desert to depression to the brothel? Also, finally, the gradual disintegration of Richard because 'still the devil drives',

You are right about the decline of Richard. But it is over a number of years of pain, deprivation, disease, disappointment, backstabbing and social stigma that causes his demise.

...thus showing in the ending how Satan wins over man but Isobel the woman is left undefeated. Does this turn the concept of the fall of man in Eden on it's head?

This is where I may have failed to communicate. The devil wins over both of them. Him physically, her spiritually. Again, there was no intention to make it a parable, but I like that you have seen it that way. I am not as deep as you have interpreted. However, I do not think it possible to cover such stories without a dimension rooted in the soul, so you have just shown me how much improved this poem could have been if I had only thought about it.

Thanks for the feedback - I promise to do better next time.

Cheers
Dave
Skarp Hedin

Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:26 pm

Ah don't be daft, it was a very good poem, just the title made me sort of aware of any possible links to the spiritual side of it. Had I known the story of the man, I would have done it justice in criticism. All the same, I like the use of structure to show the two different lives led.

Hedin