steve irwin

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
starlight

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:27 pm

Only young he died.A small sting in his heart.
One small sting..HES GONE!It tore MY heart apart.
He was the croc hunter and always will be...
Last edited by starlight on Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vesuvius
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:13 am

Short and to the point, though it was the sting in his heart rather than the stingray itself - one small sting to the heart; his and mine

Just a suggestion.
Shepherdess
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:04 pm

Hi
Yes this Tragic death has tough people all over the world
I to shed tears at his Passing

Nice thought to write a poem I would develop it in to a full poem as a tribute .. just an idea
Karen
kozmikdave
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:20 am

Gidday

I have a suggestion which no-one seems to have picked up on. I had a little trouble with reading this because the punctuation was dire. All it takes is a little proof-read and make sure it looks good. At the moment it looks as though you have just scribbled it down and not bothered to present it as a serious piece. That makes old bores like me a bit prejudiced, so we don't look for anything deep in the poem. Without changing any words, this could be a lot better. Example:

Only young he died. A stingray in his heart.
One small sting... HES GONE! It tore MY heart apart.
He was the croc hunter and always will be....

or break the ideas apart a little for us.

Only young he died.
A stingray in his heart.
One small sting...
HES GONE!
It tore MY heart apart.
He was the croc hunter...
and always will be.

Generally, there should be a CAPITAL LETTER at the start of a sentence and a FULL STOP at the end. The STOP should be followed by TWO SPACES (whereas a COMMA is folloed by ONE SPACE). Neither should have a space before. Where you trail the sentence using 3 dots, make it 3 dots inside a sentence and 4 dots at the end. You will see many poets break some of these rules by taking all the punctuation out when they want to create a certain effect.

Then I would change some of the lines to read what you mean to say. For example:

He died so young.
A sting through his heart.
One small sting... (think about changing one "sting" to "barb" or "spear" or similar)
HES GONE!
It tore MY heart apart.
He was the croc hunter...
and always will be.

They are not big changes but I think it improves it. Karen might be right. You could extend this. But I think it was an emotional response and you wrote what had to come out. I did the same. It would be difficult to recapture that sadness and anger to turn this into an epic.

I like it because it is simple and heart-felt.

Keep posting
Cheers
Dave
Eliab

Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:04 pm

Short and sweet...I agree with the aforementioned comments. Nice sentiments!