Chanteuse (re-write version 2)

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
Merlin
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:49 am

I was going to rewrite this in rhyme...but to be frank, am bored with rhyme (for now) :roll: ... I discovered parataxis yesterday :mrgreen: , and thought I would try a rewrite using that technique - don't know if it works, or even if I have understood it correctly :mrgreen:

Here is the rewrite:

Chanteuse…

Swivelling…stiletto…provocative pirouettes…lusty busty…lust…thirty…year…long night…filling voids…raincoats and overcoats…tattooed mermaids…neon neighbourhood…pink and blue milieu…touched…touched…touched by many…not cherished…save one…only one…soul for sale…extraordinary spirit...going...going...gone...cheap…consummation…take me…take me…have me…for a paper exchange…now…was it good?...did I please you?...Oh my…Oh yes…Oh no…gone…gone...forever...no…can’t be.. ChantelleChanteuse…will we ever……Again!

ORIGINAL VERSION
Chanteuse

Swivelling on a stiletto
in pirouettes of lust,
her life was a thirty-year night.

Filling voids for vampires,
vultures and vagabonds
in a vivid-violet purlieus.

Touched by many
cherished by one,
a soul-selling extraordinaire.

Consummation complete
with a paper exchange.

Chantelle, will we ever meet
- Again?
Last edited by Merlin on Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
ccvulture

Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:19 am

I feel like you missed a trick by not rhyming this one. It would have lent to the title, I think.

Also there are just toooo many Vs in that second verse. Yes, it gives you the vaginal feel you're after (oo-er), but I think that has sacrificed good poetry for the show.

Cheers

Stuart
Merlin
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:14 pm

Stuart,

Thanks for your comments/feedback...

to rhyme or not to rhyme :mrgreen: .... I did have a rhyme schem in my head for this, but changed my mind completely!

I can never tell when a rhyme is gonna suit the write - sometimes one gets feedback about too much rhyme or crap rhyme, then not enough rhyme, or no rhyme :mrgreen: :roll: :lol: ... I need to lie down :arrow:

That vaginal feel is good - although it must have been a freudian slip - coz it's not intentional - onest guv :mrgreen:

Thanks Stu...
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:54 pm

Yes, rhyme could be good here. Why not cut back the V's - choose a colour between violet and red and drop the adjective.

In a purple purlieus, or maybe In a neon neighbourhood.

Nevertheless, it's still a quite a good poem - it does have a certain atmosphere that's quite apt.

Barrie
After letting go of branches and walking through the ape gait, we managed to grasp what hands were really for......
ccvulture

Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Well I use rhyme very sparingly now, instead of the 95%ile that I used to apply. It's completely up to you Merlin. It wouldn't necessarily be any better.

And I should add that I thought this was a good piece of writing anyway.

Cheers

Stuart
Merlin wrote:Stuart,

Thanks for your comments/feedback...

to rhyme or not to rhyme :mrgreen: .... I did have a rhyme schem in my head for this, but changed my mind completely!

I can never tell when a rhyme is gonna suit the write - sometimes one gets feedback about too much rhyme or crap rhyme, then not enough rhyme, or no rhyme :mrgreen: :roll: :lol: ... I need to lie down :arrow:

That vaginal feel is good - although it must have been a freudian slip - coz it's not intentional - onest guv :mrgreen:

Thanks Stu...
John G
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no
Location: London born and bred now resident of West Yorkshire

Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:16 pm

I like the seediness of this.

I enjoy reading your work as it's seems it's all very straight forward but there is often an underlying meance or a certain amount of darkness, which is good.
After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say 'I want to see the manager.
keekee107
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:27 pm

This is nice.

I'd have to agree with others about the verse with the zillion v's in it. It's just too much for me and seems too harsh for the poem which, otherwise, flows straight from the tongue. I can see what the others mean about rhyme working well as that could give it a certain 'zing' that, to me, this almost seems to lack a little.

Anyhow, this is very nice. As usual. Just something to think about :)
Merlin
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:13 pm

Thanks Barrie...John and KK....

As CCV, Barrie and KK has suggested rhyme...gonna work on a rhythmic version...

John, you said - underlying meance or a certain amount of darkness - I gues your right, sometimes it's intentional, sometimes not....it must be my inherent style or something...

KK - now you have said it - I do agree , this poem lacks a certain, cant put your finger on zing.....

Thanks again...will be back with version 2 at some point! :arrow:
David

Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:52 pm

Merl, you have become prolific. What are they putting in the water down your way? (Rum, I suspect.)

Blow me down and shiver me timbers, but I like this one as well. Great S1, definitely too many V's in S2 (didn't get "vaginal" at all, though, but then I don't wear freudian slips myself), and I think purlieus is inadvertently plural.

Great title - getting Edith Piaf, Paris boites, Pigalle after dark ... groovy.

I don't mind the absence of rhyme at all, but that's not to say you couldn't introduce it to great effect.

Cheers

David
Merlin
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:17 am

David....glad you don't mind no rhyme...have rewritten , but not in rhyme form...just experementing...

Thanks again, everyone... :idea:
John G
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no
Location: London born and bred now resident of West Yorkshire

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:02 pm

I have written something in this style but never even knew it had a name!! You learn something new each day!!

Like the auction feel of "going...going...gone...cheap…"

Personally I prefer the flow of this one.
After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say 'I want to see the manager.
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:49 pm

I prefer the original, Merlin - the new version reminds me of notes for a speech.

Barrie
After letting go of branches and walking through the ape gait, we managed to grasp what hands were really for......
David

Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:09 pm

barrie wrote:I prefer the original, Merlin - the new version reminds me of notes for a speech.

Barrie
I fear Yoda is right, you know - I mean, Yoda is right, fear I - these are exactly like notes for a speech.

I discovered parataxis yesterday,
about the time the door knob broke ...

I think that's one brilliant idea too far, Merl.

Cheers

David
dl04
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:55 pm

I agree with David and Barrie, the rewrited version looks like rambling prose a bit to me :?

I'd stick with the original merlin, but it's your choice of course.
' Everybody's saying that hell's the hippest way to go, well i dont think so but i'm gonna take a look around'

-Joni Mitchell
Merlin
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:03 pm

:mrgreen:

OK gents......crap idea.....
:mrgreen:
PS: It was a speech...Image