Julius Nimbus

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
TDF
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue May 13, 2008 7:43 pm

Shotgun clouds, cut through
by Jupiter's crooked threads,
hail a Brutus welcome
as vacuum veins collapse
and crack the hungry echoes
of their own destruction.

This thunderous empire,
the might of roam and conquer, razed
by streaks of silver.

(edited: change of title and god)
Last edited by TDF on Wed May 14, 2008 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
meh and bah are wonderful words
wabbit
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Tue May 13, 2008 10:21 pm

Nice one Tom

This is good ... in my humble opinion

Like the play on words

"the might of roam and conquer" thats good ....

To good for me to contemplate critisising, anyway if it aint bust dont fix it :lol:
Criticism - The art of judging with knowledge and propriety of the beauties and faults of a literary performance. Ha ..Well I'm definitely gonna fall short there....However rules is rules.
twoleftfeet
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
Location: Standing by a short pier, looking for a long run-up

Wed May 14, 2008 8:42 am

Tom,

A thought - "Julius" = Roman, "Zeus" = Greek ?
TDF
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Wed May 14, 2008 9:14 am

That's a good point Geoff, slip of my classical knowledge.
I guess it should be Jupiter, not Zeus. I shall change it accordingly.
barrie
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed May 14, 2008 9:18 am

Geoff beat me to it - That's my only criticism here - mixing your gods and races. Zeus Pater (Father Zeus) is Greek, Iupater or Jupiter is the Latin equivalent. Both come from the Hindu, Dyaus-Pitar, father of Indra.
I like the poem though - Zeus' (Jupiter's) crooked threads is nice - as is the whole idea.

Good stuff.

Barrie
After letting go of branches and walking through the ape gait, we managed to grasp what hands were really for......
Richard WH
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Wed May 14, 2008 9:40 am

Excellent stuff.
Shows how just a few words can suggest so much.
Terrific images and use of words
The meaning of communication is the response it gets
TDF
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Wed May 14, 2008 6:07 pm

Thanks chaps,
Glad this seems to work ok and is recieved well. It started off just being about a thunderstorm then somehow morphed to include a Caesar et tu brute double meaning. Wasn't sure if the new angle slotted well with the original piece, but seems it worked out ok. The only thing I didn't manage to get in there was some ides reference to double reflect the march rain/pain.

Thankee all.
Tom
Elphin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed May 14, 2008 6:19 pm

tom

I wasn't planning on commenting - agree with the others its a good piece of work - but you might want to consider whether the language of shotguns and vacuums (less so) is consistent with the ancient theme. I'll leave you to ponder.

elphin
TDF
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Wed May 14, 2008 6:50 pm

You make a fair point Elph.
Those 2 words are clear remnance of the original tack of the poem, that when describing just a storm worked well I think. In the context of the second meaning? maybe now I'm not so sure. One thing though: The vacuum is a description of how lightning works to create thunder, so in itself is essentially timeless, and probably pretty a latinate word I would imagine. I will re-consider shotgun though.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Tom
Milu
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Thu May 15, 2008 6:10 pm

TDF wrote:
Shotgun clouds, cut through [perhaps I'm missing something, but I think shotgun is a bit out of place with the era, unless you're trying to convey something with that image that I'm not getting. I know very little of Roman warfare, but perhaps spears or swords or something? ]

by Jupiter's crooked threads,
hail a Brutus welcome [a Brutus welcome? Hmm...making it "a brutus welcome" makes it sound like some offical common place thing. Maybe it's nitpicking, but it came off a bit odd. I thought it would be better "Hail another Brutus a welcome, or something along those lines]
as vacuum veins collapse
and crack the hungry echoes
of their own destruction.

This thunderous empire,
the might of roam and conquer, razed
by streaks of silver.

(edited: change of title and god)

Et tu, Brute? Hehe.

I really like the imagery of the poem. What I got from it is you were saying that the destruction of Rome was due to the over abundance of power represented by the thunder. I thought it was cleaver. Thanks for sharing ^__^
"As a general rule, people, even the wicked, are much more naïve and simple hearted then we may suppose. And we ourselves are, too."
[center]~Dostoevsky[/center]
TDF
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu May 15, 2008 6:20 pm

cheers Milu,

Yeah, shotgun has been raised already as a clash of eras/styles. The original poem was just about a thunderstorm, then evolved to be a metephor for the fall of Rome/Julius Caesars murder. We get shotgun thunder, so I melded that with the description of the cloud itself.
But also, the power of Rome was meant to be reflected in the storm also: a storm is something that seems awsomely huge, yet something that essentially destroys itself due to its size.
Brutus was a point towards the shakespearian assasination of Julius as well as being a play on words with brutal. Also I wanted to somehow reflect the fact that storm sometimes seem to come from nowhere - as did Brutus's blade for Julius. They seem great things to see, yet hold the power to destroy.

Most of what I intended seems to have been picked up, but I think maybe I tried to squeeze in too much wordplay and mixed ideas.

Tom