Mirror Mirror on the wall.

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
kattie
antispam: no

Sun May 03, 2009 3:33 pm

I crave for my figure to be emaciated.
A shrunken shriveled withered physique.
Is what I aspire.
When my ribs protrude
I feel euphoric.
But am I really?
Aching for the
feeling of hunger.
I am in control.

The scale reading
regulates everything.
Skin and bones.
All the baby fat
gone.

Only heavy under
the burden of
lies.

Mirror mirror on the wall whose the thinest of them all.

(This is my first poem I am posting here :) I am 14 btw and I am not writing about my self here )
Ros

Sun May 03, 2009 3:56 pm

Welcome, Kattie! I hope you enjoy it here. I'm very glad to hear you are not writing about yourself.

This is very good - I like the descriptions of lightness and then the idea of heaviness of lies. If this were mine, I'd miss out the 'But am I really?' line - it's sort of telling the reader what opinion they should have, rather than let the poem speak for itself. I'd also lose the last line - the idea is a bit of a cliche, and I think the poem stands well without it. If you want to keep it, you need 'who is' rather than whose, of course. I think you have to 'aspire to' rather than just aspire, to be correct, too.

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Perspicacious Poster

Sun May 03, 2009 7:21 pm

Welcome Kattie

A good first post and Ros has given you an excellent crit. I agree pretty much with all she says

Id like to point out and say well done for the half rhyme of bones/gone and the clever ine break fat/gone which allows the reader to pause and illustrates the gone.

I thought maybe the first stanza could be condensed a little - it tells rather than shows but you can work on that.

hope to see more

elph
arunansu
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon May 04, 2009 5:27 am

Nice poem, Kattie. Loved S1 and S2. I'm with Ros regarding the closing line. I also feel you might re-think about the title.It sounds too common. Maybe that's only me.
Enjoyed the read.
ray miller
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon May 04, 2009 7:54 am

"Only heavy under the burden of lies" is very good and, as others have pointed out, the poem should end there. It's a good poem, I'm not sure about "figure"though, it seems too abstract a word somehow.
I'm out of faith and in my cups
I contemplate such bitter stuff.
westonalan

Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi kattie,
When i first read this poem, my heart sank and I thought this girl needs help! She's Anorexic! Then I saw your last comment! I hope it wasn't you looking in the mirror!

Very touching poem!
Alan
Writing poetry to raise funds for Cancer Research UK
BenJohnson
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:22 pm

At 14 this is a very good piece of writing. Ros has given you some good suggestions, but even without those it is a well thought out piece. Look forward to seeing more of you around the boards.
Mark Townsend

Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:27 pm

A very interesting first poem, I look forward to reading your next! Very well done!

Best Mark
Lovely
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:29 am

Don't know you that well but a very interesting first read. Some positive crits above.

Liked the title and the content. The mirrrow could be a great theme for future writes.

Fairytales for this.......

L