Underpant Jefferson (A Facebook found Poem)

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
the stranger
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:37 am

The cultural idiocy gap between parents and kids is getting wider
And December is the cruellest month.

On a lighter note, my star wars underpants are fitting snugly
But you're gonna need to zoom out!

What's it like to grow up in a religious sect you say?
Ask the Red Bull-drinking jihadists,

The Kings in Yellow, they know, they know
Yes, they know:

Olympic wrestling stars lured by wealthy eccentrics
Faces obliterated by embroidery – injected with new life!

And of course my wild wife:
Growing up at Chester zoo, gibbon armed and lottery funded.

I may sound like a big clumsy whatsit, but:
I was on BBC Radio Wales yesterday talking about the possible forms of devolution for England:

Small plates, rubbish chips, bad lighting, inappropriate crockery.
It's all in the details:

Love at St Michaels Mount? The Valley of Unrest?
And of course "Queue" the worst word in the English language.
Wazza

Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:36 am

The cultural idiocy gap between parents and kids is getting wider
And December is the cruellest month.
Tell me about it - and I'm often left feeling the dill, when I'm engaging with my grand kids in conversation about their lives and doings.. And stranger ... I think the jihadists drink something stronger than red bull. Anyway to the poem - On a generic level I really enjoyed it, but as I read each new two line stanza I was unsure of what it was or where it was that you were going with it. So if there is a deeper meaning then I didn't find it. Now, this is not unusual for me. I don't get a lot of the poems written in this genre. This is not in reference to you or this poem per se it's something I can't get on top of where so many variations or different referents of sense/meaning are written into fifteen or twenty lines. In a nut shell I have to work hard to take meaning from some and that isn't conducive to enjoyment of the poems.
Hey! I'm a simple old bugger. Even my wife Robbie tells me I'm losing it.

Wazza
ray miller
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:04 pm

I think it's funny, couplets 2 and 7 very much so. As someone who's done a Facebook found poem, I'm interested to know if it's from one thread, one person? But most of all I want to know who Jefferson is.
I'm out of faith and in my cups
I contemplate such bitter stuff.
Jester
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no

Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:27 pm

Hello stranger (eight years on)
I'm afraid I'm at a loss to follow your story here. Is it a number of snapshots that become more apparent as you age? Was the (Red) Bull-drinking a play on words to imply they swallow bullshit? I'm afraid it's got me feeling a bit thick. I get the gist of the first four lines and that's a good hook, but then it looses me completely. Sorry. I did read through a number of times but suppose my brain isn't in gear.
Nice to meet again.
Mick.
Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
the stranger
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi Guys,

Just to cover any misunderstandings the clue is actually in the title.

It's a "Found Poem" there is thread on this very forum full of em. If you are not aware of found poems you may want to take a gander - viewforum.php?f=47

I find them highly enjoyable and a great tool when lacking inspiration, which is probably around 90% of the time these days for me!

Ray - They were simply taken from my own FB news feed, just scrolled down grabbed some lines that I thought may be funny/interesting and arranged them in some semblance of order/non-order. As for Underpant Jefferson, he may be a teacher from a school long long ago, or he may not be.

Thanks for the comments and I hope that's cleared it up.

Cheers
TS
Antcliff
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:50 am

Liked this especially....
may sound like a big clumsy whatsit, but:
I was on BBC Radio Wales yesterday talking about the possible forms of devolution for England:

Small plates, rubbish chips, bad lighting, inappropriate crockery.
It's all in the details:
We fray into the future, rarely wrought
Save in the tapestries of afterthought.
Richard Wilbur
insidememor

Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:45 pm

ray miller wrote:I think it's funny, couplets 2 and 7 very much so. As someone who's done a Facebook found poem, I'm interested to know if it's from one thread, one person? But most of all I want to know who Jefferson is. how to hack facebook
I found it quite humorous as well. Agreeing with you on couplets 2 and 7 here :)
David

Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:51 pm

Found poems. It's knowing what to pick when you find it, isn't it? I like this. You picked them well.

Cheers

David