MAGA RAKA fooka rooka (Oswald on Bass) was Shack-Kerouac

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
bjondon
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:06 pm

MAGA RAKA

Fooka Rooka

MAGA RAKA fooka rooka
Kerouaca Cacka Nooka
I'm blowin ma own . . . Po Po
I'm growin ma own
In a field in Lancanshire

Get me a jury, two old chairs and half a candle
Yongy Bongy Bongy Bo Jo
I'm a moseley coseley coca-roco . . . . Pump!
Pumpety Strumpety pokey mo-jo

I'm growin ma own
I'm blowin ma own
I'm growin ma own
Crispy Crumb Coat
In a field in Lancanshire

Audio version here: [url]https://audiomack.com/song/bjondon/shack-kerouac[/url]

V1
I'm blowing my own Po Po
I'm blowing my own Po . . .Po
I'm blowing my big poetry no

a junkety, spunkety, trunkety
full bap / jam bop
good enough good good enough

to blow away
at least / half of
my stuff
Last edited by bjondon on Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 22 times in total.
riverrun
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:47 pm

The beat generation not only did contribute to the expansion of slang, it gave an always fresh discursive trait. Of course, Rap achieved this but sectorized in each neighborhood (East-West Coast). It became a way of life farther beyond bohemian (or gypsy) behaviors. When Holywood absorbs it would become a pasteurized byproduct aiming the global market, the mainstream. The beat generation did this within the national commonplace of culture through linguistic minutiae. So in some sense the Beat Generation would expand what Emerson, Thoreau and Whitman did but not giving us the universal notion of America but the particular, local and intimate one.

On the road (1957) it's probably the most important portrait of avant-garde movement traditions since 1950's. On this book we'll find the urge for journey surrounded by absurdity and violence (McCarthyism, racism, ostracised indigenous tribes). Fueled by benzedrine, classical literature's gap and folk wisdom Jack Kerouac would give us the most amazing neologisms to date as he mixed (as an alchemist?) with delirium, classical knowledge and street perception.

Thank you for remind us Bjondon
Macavity

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:43 am

Feels like a snippet Jules. Perhaps most of the poem was lost to 'blow' :) I feel the playfulness deserves expansion :D

cheers

mac
twoleftfeet
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
Location: Standing by a short pier, looking for a long run-up

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:58 am

I agree with Mac,Jules
- more!

I probably had Rc's TWEET poem in my head when I misread line 4 as:

a junkety, spunkety, Trump-ety :)

Cheers
Geoff
Instead of just sitting on the fence - why not stand in the middle of the road?
David

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:46 pm

It's years - decades, even - since my only romp through On the Road, but this seems like a great and resonant evocation of it. Could be a bebop solo in itself, Jules.

Cheers

David
Poet
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:24 pm

Weird.
bjondon
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:33 pm

OK, 'not enough' definitely better than 'please stop' …
I have taken note (thanks mac and TLF).
David, you do seem to have got it, which is a relief, but I
acknowledge it's a mere scamper . . . stay tuned!
Perhaps the Kerouac is a bit of a red herring . . . this is
more Edward Lear by way of Orson Welles, and I just happened to
be rereading On the Road - It's a marvelously involving
book, though river, where are these neologisms you speak of?
Kerouac seems to lay down a whole new aesthetic, imbuing
vernacular speech and cultural outcasts with dignity and
value. My sister thinks it's appallinly sexist - and it is! -
though Sal, the protagonist has a very egalitarian and
inspiring love affair with a mexican woman in the
opening chapters.
Have you read The Uses of Disorder by Richard Sennett?
- that definitely colours my reading - Sal is basically a
middleclass kid dabbling in bohemia - every time he gets in a fix
he wires his aunt and gets another $50. Even the more seasoned 'holy fools'
can all be characterised as immensely adolescent.
People think of this book as almost the source code of the
'beat generation' - but the journey is taking place in 1947 -
they are all fresh out of the war and now careening across
America, wide-eyed with love and appetite at unsafe speeds
with inadequate brakes - the recklessness, the hunger, the hope
are surely not unrelated to what they have all just witnessed
in Europe (interesting to compare this with Gravity's Rainbow).

Poet - thanks for the 'weird' … from you, a compliment :) (I dig the invisible
brackets 'totally' and 'man')

river- you mention the rap context. There were unsuccessful attempts
to fuse jazz and beat poetry, and in a way rap picks up the baton, crucially
eschewing melody, the beat is now the heart and yes of course it's been
appropriated but there are under-documented and hugely popular
artists like MIA beginning to break out.

TLF - the Trump misreading is interesting . . . I am tempted. There's a transgressive
lineage via Thoreau, Melville, through Kerouac, Presley, Mailer to, god-forbid,
Trump. Of course people like Bo Jo and Trump are members of the elite
disguising themselves as rock 'n roll common men. They are certainly
less boring than the technocratic lawyers who used to hold sway (Blair/Clinton).
My vain hope is that they are only temporary 'Adrian Moles' recruited
for our entertainment (because we can) and not Oswald Mosleys about
to whip their masks off.
riverrun
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:58 pm

Perhaps it's not entirely accurate to say neologism but maybe a revival (and fusion) of classical terms within the US countryside context: "lugubriously", "hincty", "lackadaddy", "Blah-blahed somewhat", "dingledodies", "Saroyan's town" and even regular words as "Tea" seems to have other meanings in his book.

best
riverrun
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:17 am

I probably can't relate with all political peculiarities that both were talking about in USA but I can do that making a not very strict generalization. After all what's is a politician? We usually speak about all the trades of lawmaking (industry, finnance, lobby, media-public opinion, military, the scientific establishment-church bias) but we all end saying "meh" at some point because what the western founding fathers (Socrates, Aristotle and Plato) thought about the citizenship would go way beyond greek citizens, the universal (geometric-pitagoric) idea of citizenship was damped by bureaucratic gears through centuries. Ironically and etymologically people forget what demagogy and demagogue means. We feel lost without someone representing us. The idea of one person as leader to rule citizens only by geographical perspective it's at end the opposite of the universal idea of citizenship. It's just sophisticated Feudalism (of who has the upper hand) -- and it's not random the most used words on WTO, IMF and UN sessions are "agenda", "compromise", etc -- stalling terms.The stalling works to dizzy the middle class who actually pays for the entire planet heavy toll. We're all literally Pavlov dogs. We can't hear a demagogue bell without drool all over. That's why Thoreau said "That government is best which governs not at all"; because Democracy by classical definition should be auto sustained, universal and self evident (geometric) as Lincoln said. There's a abyss between theory and praxis of politics, the misconception and sophistry, an crisis of representation itself. The subject is vast but I'll sum up in one idea: poetry is the solution. Of course I'm not talking about people who exclusively write verses and stanzas but the philosophical ideas behind them. Poets know by far what representation and symbol (syn+ballein) really means. Since this absurdity of mine cannot grow free we need a dampening system -- ie, spanish americans voting on spanish representatives, afro americans doing the same, far right, far left and so on, and so on... That's why companies invest a lot time and money on Microtargeting (BrexitGate) to understand better the small fluctuations on human behavior -- but when you do that you just grasp the local, segmented citizen... It's the poetry who dare to look at the citizen as a universal category. The worst thing that happend to us all was to think that poetry is only a aesthetic form to express something. Poets are dangerous as Plato mistook in his Republic that why they need be banned (or varnished)

Years ago at college I had a summer course about italian philosophy and I read Giambattista Vico (Scienza Nuova). He wrote something that haunted me for decades and only now I understand: "the poet is the foundation of any city"
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:35 am

What a zany ride, Jules, and one to get the mind buzzing at this time of day. :)

I don't know enough to join the intellectual discussion but this one struck me as "spaced out"! It reminded me of someone high on speed, but not in a condescending way. There's an excitement and pseudo-philosophy reminiscent of "Turn on, tune in, drop out" that had me smiling, even though I didn't know if that was appropriate, or not. It's interesting that Leary gave some meaningful definitions to his "theory" only to later admit that he wasn't really sure what he'd meant. :)

I thought of Jack Kerouac (naturally) but I struggled to connect, and I SO, SO wanted to. I see the others had no such problem but I would add my support to the more is more camp.

Fascinating read.

Best

JJ
Long time a child and still a child
HonourStedman
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:36 pm

Blimey, a lot of learned stuff resulting from your poem, dear Jules. I read On the Road many years ago, and have since picked up more information about the so-called "beat generation." However, what I really like about your poem has nothing to do with those historical references and has more to do with the joyfulness created by using almost abstract language to create something sonorous and meaningful. More please. :)
bjondon
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:50 pm

Apologies for the tardy response - a revision and an audio up.

Delighted this hit the spot JJ and Honour - the musicality is my principle aim, though you will notice I am trying to smuggle a few other things under the radar.
JJWilliamson wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:35 am
What a zany ride, Jules, and one to get the mind buzzing at this time of day. :)

JJ
river - thanks for returning . . . Kerouac is undoubtedly a hybrid linguist and also trying hard to find his own bridge between Catholicism and Buddhism . . . let us not forget that he was also an enthusiastic supporter of Joe McCarthy!

mac - if you are dropping by, there is an interesting Snyder/Kerouac connection too

Jules
Macavity

Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:01 am

wild Jules, wild
bjondon
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:09 pm

Thanks mac . . . I'm reading that as a thumbs up :)
A new layer added . . . taking the 'Bogie-Man' theme further . . . a separate piece?
I am facinated by fake voices, projected images, charisma . . . from the alpha male down the pub to the populists on our screen.
Jules
Macavity

Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:32 am

Enjoyed. Definitely a separate piece. A lot of dense referencing. The story is there, though it has the rush of amphetamine rather than the sleazy drawl of noir. The influence of Hancock I guess.

cheers

mac
bjondon
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:01 pm

Thanks mac,
I have set it up as separate post (Bogie Man).
I was thinking more Kerouac than Hancock
but the crossover territory could be fruitful.
As it stands I think the ending is a bit too pat
even though I suppose that is part of the trope.
J