He dreams of castles (rev. 2)

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu May 19, 2022 9:09 pm

He dreams of castles on a Cornish beach
they visited, when he was eight years old.
For picnic pudding, Mum gives him a peach
and speaks of Roald Dahl. It’s all so gold,

the sun, the sand, his mother’s voice, the spade
and bucket she has bought him for the trip.
Her fine fair hair is fastened in a braid
one side, descending to her rounded hip.

She shows him how a little water’s good
to hold the castles. Harry makes a ring
around her and she laughs. He finds some wood,
some shells, some slimy seaweed, anything

to keep her safe from pirates; she’s Sea-Queen,
so bright and beautiful through all their years
yet fading while he works. A ghostly green
of tide is rising, pounding in his ears.

- - -
S2 L3: long fair --> flaxen; flaxen --> fine fair
S2 L4: ample --> rounded
Last edited by Leaf on Sat May 28, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

It's a working title; I'm thinking through alternatives ☕️
Macavity

Fri May 20, 2022 4:06 am

Lovely Fliss. As I have said many times, you are a natural with r&r...which reminds me, aren't you writing a novel in metre?

He dreams of castles on a Cornish beach...sets the scene
they visited, when he was eight years old.....nice specific
For picnic pudding, Mum gives him a peach... nice alliteration
and speaks of Roald Dahl. It’s all so gold,... playful break on peach

Dahl was such a mischievous, fun writer. No wonder children love him. Like the internal rhyme in L4 . Like the teasing break on gold.

and bucket she has bought him for the trip...a treat to remember
Her long fair hair is fastened in a braid
one side, descending to her ample hip.

Like how you build the detail Fliss...hearing a mother's voice, the braided long fair hair, and, especially, the 'ample hip'...makes it real. spade/braid was a rhyme I liked.

She shows him how a little water’s good... lovingly parental
to hold the castles. Harry makes a ring
some shells, some slimy seaweed, anything

Another effective teasing stanza break to progress. Great how you build the castle building details. Yes, decorating with shells I do remember. You translate the warmth of child and mum, those bubble worlds of childhood!

yet fading while he works. A ghostly green

The bubble bursts to current realities, no wonder we dream of childhood securities. And yet, even then, those insecurities...a need to protect mum with the castle building. Castles to protect the ones we love. A playful scene, but one that resonates from past to present. Your ease with narrative, rhythm and rhyme, conjure a golden read Fliss. I'll try to 🤔 some crit, but just wanted to enjoy first impressions.

MacPhil 🌈
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri May 20, 2022 5:40 pm

Thanks very much for your comment, MacPhil Rainbow; I appreciate your taking the time 🙂👍

Thanks for 'a natural with r&r'; funnily enough, John Isbell has said so too! Great minds, MacPhil. Dad's a composer and lyricist, and we think I inherited something from him. I am indeed writing a novel in metre; well, a book made up of poems that tell a story, if that's similar. I haven't received much in the way of feedback elsewhere, so it might be useful to post bits of it here 👍

Your run-through this poem is very useful and I'm pleased it's coming across as I'd hoped. I agree about Dahl; I loved his books, especially with Quentin Blake's illustrations. Well, I'd probably still love them today! Great team there 🥰

I'm glad you like the detail; I like 'ample hip' too and the spade/braid rhyme. I have similar memories of decorating with shells, although I usually ended up helping my brothers to dig the deepest hole possible. It was a bit dangerous, really, so Dad made us fill it up again! Bubble indeedy; and I'm pleased it's a 'golden read'. That ought to be a journal, The Golden Read. I haven't decided what to do with this yet; I think Mike Burch might like it, though. Happy to receive crit as and when. I'm still thinking about a title!

Best wishes,
Fliss
Firebird

Sat May 21, 2022 4:07 pm

Hi Fliss,

Enjoyed this poem. I can relate to much of it. My only nit is, isn’t ‘ample hips’ a cliche?

Cheers,

Tristan
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat May 21, 2022 5:15 pm

Hi Tristan,

Thanks; I'm happy you enjoyed this poem and that you can relate to much of it. That's good to know :)

Concerning 'ample hip', I'm afraid I don't know whether that's a cliché. I'm not particularly well read, unfortunately; well, I have to read for work, but ample hips don't tend to turn up there. I'd be happy to read publications featuring ample hips in my leisure time, but my hourly rate is lower than minimum wage and I don't have much leisure on the whole. I have to work long hours to afford basic things.

That isn't me looking for sympathy, by the way; I'm just being honest about my limitations 👍

I wonder whether MacPhil might weigh in at this point; one alternative to 'ample' (because I'd like to keep the hip) might be 'rounded', I suppose. I'm sure I'll think of an alternative :)

Best wishes,
Fliss
Macavity

Sat May 21, 2022 6:12 pm

Well I found this😃

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/ ... to-my-hips

MacPhil🍰(hip food)

Ps still thinking on that title 🤔...Motte and Bailey
Firebird

Sun May 22, 2022 1:10 pm

Hi Fliss,

Sorry to hear about your difficult circumstances. It doesn't sound fair at all. I my opinion all labour, whatever it is we do, should be valued much, much more equally. We all contribute to society in our own ways - no less or more. The minimum wage in the U.K is quite frankly a joke. I know this is no consolation, but you are an excellent writer/poet without much time to read, which says a lot.

On the subject of ‘ample hips’, lexico has this to say:
Used euphemistically to convey that someone is fat. 'she stood with her hands on her ample hips'
I tend to think most euphemisms are cliches too.

Cheers,

Tristan
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun May 22, 2022 6:34 pm

Macavity wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 6:12 pm
Well I found this😃

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/ ... to-my-hips

MacPhil🍰(hip food)

Ps still thinking on that title 🤔...Motte and Bailey
Hooray! Great poem, MacPhil. I'm not particularly narrow in the hips region myself, so I like this a lot, particularly 'mighty' and 'magic', lol. And thanks for the hip food; I'll exercise afterwards 👍

Now, Motte and Bailey, google google... ah, types of castle. Intriguing! 🧐

Bw,
Fliss
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun May 22, 2022 6:36 pm

Firebird wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 1:10 pm
Hi Fliss,

Sorry to hear about your difficult circumstances. It doesn't sound fair at all. I my opinion all labour, whatever it is we do, should be valued much, much more equally. We all contribute to society in our own ways - no less or more. The minimum wage in the U.K is quite frankly a joke. I know this is no consolation, but you are an excellent writer/poet without much time to read, which says a lot.

On the subject of ‘ample hips’, lexico has this to say:
Used euphemistically to convey that someone is fat. 'she stood with her hands on her ample hips'
I tend to think most euphemisms are cliches too.

Cheers,

Tristan
Hi Tristan,

Thanks; I agree about equal value and the joke of min wage. I'm lucky I enjoy writing because it doesn't cost much, phew.

Thanks too for lexico. It's interesting; when I think of 'ample' in relation to hips, it's to do with bone structure rather than fat, i.e. a wide pelvis. Anyway, the word has gone and it'll be replaced as and when 👍

Best wishes,
Fliss
Lia
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sun May 22, 2022 9:52 pm

sturdy?
Jim
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Sun May 22, 2022 11:25 pm

Hi Fliss, I like this one too, especially the elegiac note at the end:

A ghostly green
Of tide is rising, pounding in his ears.

I have no problem with ample hips. :)

Jim
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon May 23, 2022 7:45 am

Hi Fliss,

I continue to like both poem and title here. And ample hips is pretty much fine by me!

Cheers,
John
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon May 23, 2022 7:52 am

Hi Fliss,

I realize I should say something more useful. For tbc, maybe "mother's hips"? They are I think primarily the hips of a mom here. And for "She's Sea-Queen," where I miss the article, how about ": a Sea-Queen"? I think that could work. No other suggestions really.

Cheers,
John
ray miller
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon May 23, 2022 3:52 pm

Enjoyed the poem, a couple of things in the final verse might be improved. Bright and beautiful - now that is a well-worn phrase.

yet fading while he works. - quite vague, quite bland, I wonder if you could find something to run into "a ghostly green" and do away with the full stop.
I'm out of faith and in my cups
I contemplate such bitter stuff.
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon May 23, 2022 8:47 pm

Lia wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 9:52 pm
sturdy?
Maybe! Thanks, Lia 🙂
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon May 23, 2022 8:48 pm

Jim wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 11:25 pm
Hi Fliss, I like this one too, especially the elegiac note at the end:

A ghostly green
Of tide is rising, pounding in his ears.

I have no problem with ample hips. :)

Jim
Hi Jim,

Thank you! I'm pleased you like the elegiac note. And no problem with ample hips, well, 'Good man yourself,' as my Irish granny used to say. I think she would've liked the poem by Lucille Clifton :lol:

Best wishes,
Fliss
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon May 23, 2022 8:50 pm

jisbell00 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:52 am
Hi Fliss,

I realize I should say something more useful. For tbc, maybe "mother's hips"? They are I think primarily the hips of a mom here. And for "She's Sea-Queen," where I miss the article, how about ": a Sea-Queen"? I think that could work. No other suggestions really.

Cheers,
John
Hi John,

Thanks for your appreciation! Yes, something useful. why not. I'll think about 'mother's', thank you. I'm not sure about inserting an article before 'Sea-Queen', because she's something special to Harry, then and now, so not just one of many queens of the sea. A lady of great character 🙂

Best wishes,
Fliss
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon May 23, 2022 8:52 pm

ray miller wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 3:52 pm
Enjoyed the poem, a couple of things in the final verse might be improved. Bright and beautiful - now that is a well-worn phrase.

yet fading while he works. - quite vague, quite bland, I wonder if you could find something to run into "a ghostly green" and do away with the full stop.
I'm glad you enjoyed the poem, Ray. The 'bright and beautiful' is a musical quotation, if that's the right term? I'm probably writing for The HyperTexts here and I think Mike Burch (the editor) will appreciate the little nod. But if I end up submitting elsewhere, I'll take a look at the line.

I'll think about the 'fading' line, thank you 🙂

Best wishes,
Fliss
Jim
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Tue May 24, 2022 1:56 am

The 'bright and beautiful' is a musical quotation, if that's the right term?
Yes, I take it you are referring to this hymn:

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all.

I think elegiac quatrains are a good fit for this poem.

Jim
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue May 24, 2022 3:55 am

Leaf wrote:
He dreams of castles on a Cornish beach
they visited, when he was eight years old. -- [the comma should come out; it just breaks the rhythm]
For picnic pudding, Mum gives him a peach
and speaks of Roald Dahl. It’s all so gold,

and bucket she has bought him for the trip.
Her [silken] hair is fastened in a braid -- [or some other two-syllable adjective]
[along] one side, descending to her hip.

She shows him how a little water’s good
to hold the castles [firm]. Harry makes a ring -- [You're talking about moisture that keeps the sand firm, right?]
some shells, some slimy seaweed, anything -- [not in love with "slimy"]

yet fading while he works. A ghostly green -- ["yet fading while he works"? -- not sure what that means]
Can those of you who are using a black theme read my edits in navy blue?
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue May 24, 2022 8:24 pm

Well, the navy blue's difficult, but it shows as white if I drag my mouse over it, which is fine.

The comma seems fine to me, but I'll check with Mike; I'll think about the hair, but I'm happy with the style; 'firm' is implied with 'hold', I think; also happy with 'slimy'; 'fading' is apt. Thanks for reading and commenting 👍
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue May 24, 2022 8:27 pm

Jim wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 1:56 am
The 'bright and beautiful' is a musical quotation, if that's the right term?
Yes, I take it you are referring to this hymn:

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all.

I think elegiac quatrains are a good fit for this poem.

Jim
Welcome back, Jim. Yes, precisely that hymn; I'm glad you think the elegiac quatrains fit :)

Bw,
Fliss
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed May 25, 2022 4:38 am

Leaf wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 8:24 pm
The comma seems fine to me, but I'll check with Mike; I'll think about the hair, but I'm happy with the style; 'firm' is implied with 'hold', I think; also happy with 'slimy'; 'fading' is apt. Thanks for reading and commenting 👍
I was just making suggestions, of course.
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed May 25, 2022 8:57 pm

👍

I have a possible new title; I haven't used part of a first line for a title before and I'm not sure whether it works. I like it, though.

I thought of 'flaxen' for 'long fair' earlier, but that might be too Debussy-esque for some, I suppose. I do like the piano piece, but two musical quotations might be too many, unless the Debussy isn't generally known, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOxJpPiFe0k 🤔