Post-a-Poem (Beginners) Rules. You must read before posting.

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
cameron
Site Admin
Site Admin
antispam: no

Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:56 am

Welcome to Post-a-Poem (Beginners)

This is intended to be a friendly (but serious) forum where inexperienced poets can post their poetry and get feedback from other members. Experienced poets are welcome to post here as well (for whatever reason).

What You Should Do

1. Review at least 2 other poems before submitting your own. You don't have to be a university poetry professor to do this. Simply read the poem in question a couple of times - inwardly digest it - and then try and identify what you like or dislike about it, preferably giving examples. Here are some tips on how to critique poems:
http://poetsgraves.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3537
2. Try to make your criticism constructive. The aim of the forum is to help people to improve the quality of their work. See http://poetsgraves.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1563
3. When posting a poem, put its title in the subject box.
4. Use meaningful feedback to improve your own work.
5. Try not to take criticism personally.
6. If your poem contains explicit or erotic language, please place a warning in the title.
7. Check your spelling and punctuation carefully before you post.
8. Show respect to the moderators; they give up their free time to ensure that this forum runs smoothly.
9. If, following feedback, you wish to add a redrafted version of your poem, please attach it (in full) to the same thread, marking it clearly "Redraft", rather than editing the original as this helps to reduce confusion among reviewers.

What You Should Not Do

1. Post more than one poem at a time on a single thread.
2. Post more than 2 poems a day.
3. Write in capital letters (we are not deaf).
4. Use bold type (we're still not deaf).
5. Use the forum to propagate your religious or political views thinly disguised as poetry.
6. Assume multiple identities in order to praise your own work.
7. Get your friends to register in order to praise your work.
8. Use the forum primarily to plug your own websites.
9. Be deliberately argumentative.
10. Tell us about your vanity published work; we're not interested.
11. Add a copyright symbol. (We're not going to steal your work and, even if we were, who would we sell it to?)
12. Do Keats or Shakespeare impersonations.

Poems that are well received may be featured on the forum. All poems posted on Post-a-Poem remain the copyright of the author.

Remember: the more you put in, the more you'll get out!

We look forward to reading your contributions.

Cheers
Cameron and Nicola
Holly_Golightly

Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:30 am

What You Should Not Do

5. Use the forum to propagate your religious or political views thinly disguised as poetry.

[/quote]

Don't want to come across as an argumentitive newbie here but what is this rule for? I'm not a BNP campaigner, I just would rather write poems which talk about people and society rather than flowers and sunsets.
Ros

Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:41 pm

Holly_Golightly wrote:What You Should Not Do

Don't want to come across as an argumentitive newbie here but what is this rule for? I'm not a BNP campaigner, I just would rather write poems which talk about people and society rather than flowers and sunsets.[/quote]

I wouldn't worry, Holly, we're quite happy with poems about people and society, and with strong views. I think the rule is just to dissuade those who are trying to either convert people to their viewpoint or stir up argument for the sake of it.

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:55 pm

What about warnings on offensive content or are you fine with swearing and perhaps considered 'erotic' poetry? - Not saying I'm a swearing, perverse person but just questioning as I have written a few bits and bobs that contain the odd reference. Thanks!
David

Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:01 pm

We're broad-minded, Poppy. Or so we hope. Give it a go. It probably won't be anything we haven't heard before.
Jackie
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:41 pm

I have just posted a revision of a poem which had moved on to the second page of Beginners; specifically, a revision of "The Pedestrian," now called "Rain."

However, instead of its moving forward to current postings so it can be seen by others, it stayed in the middle of the second page. Is there something I should do to bring it forward?

Jackie
Antcliff
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi Jackie,
if a poem has been revised you can just add to the thread at the bottom saying "revision" so it will come up again. That is fine. If you don't do that, then..as you say..the revision will not be seen.

Seth
We fray into the future, rarely wrought
Save in the tapestries of afterthought.
Richard Wilbur
Jackie
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks, Seth.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:38 am

I see you discourage Keats and Shakespeare impersonations. I was wondering if you are ok with a Keats referenced poem. I have written a poem entitled, 'Picnicking With John Keats' which does emulate the style but doesn't copy it and has a significant twist in the close.

Best,

JJ
Long time a child and still a child
Ros

Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:04 pm

That'll be fine. The rule is just to remind people that we aim to workshop contemporary poetry rather than work attempting to revive the old masters.

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:42 pm

Thanks for that, Ros. Appreciate the prompt reply.
Ros wrote:That'll be fine. The rule is just to remind people that we aim to workshop contemporary poetry rather than work attempting to revive the old masters.

Ros
Long time a child and still a child