The Ghost Paradox

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:40 am

The Ghost Paradox

God is a long way up, they say – and I,
who’ve traveled pretty widely, can confirm
that I’ve not seen Him. I have seen the sun
of morning and the sun of evening and
the nighttime stars. I’ve seen the tide come in
and ebb again. I’ve seen the woods of June
become those of November, as the year
progresses in its round. I’ve seen good deeds
and cruel ones, I’ve seen the salmon swim
upriver to their death. I’ve seen the faithful
speak to their God unanswered. I have knelt
in prayer, for God is very high; I have
pored over tracts and alphabets; I have
not seen Him. Once, I saw a ghost in Durham,
at midnight on a hidden stair, although
I don’t believe in ghosts. I have not leapt
into the sea of faith. It is a long
way up
, they tell us, and they may be right.

Last edited by jisbell00 on Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morpheus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:26 pm

John, nice blank verse iambic pentameter. It's mostly up apart from woods. Perhaps you could look up at the trees or they could be reaching skyward?

And I thought He was a Her. We saw Ruth at the end of the Barbie film right before enlightenment and the gynaecologist. There was a Colossal Barbie in Dubai that was very high. It makes sense that God would hear high heels and sunglasses.

My sister went to Durham university and it had a very Oxbridge feel to it. I think there were Oxbridge wannabes there too. I didn't see any ghosts there but I recall it has some very old buildings including the cathedral. Is N saying he does not believe in what he sees there? Conversely N does believes in what he can't say. Faith is a mysterious thing.
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:05 pm

Hi Morph, glad you liked it!

I enjoyed hearing about your Barbie experiences. They were available when I was a kid but my sister didn't have one. Rita and I enjoyed the movie.

I taught at Durham for a year. Yup, it's a fallback for Oxbridge applicants. My position is that I saw a ghost, but continue not to believe in them. Or rather, felt one, at about midnight in the old Bishop's Palace.

Cheers,
John
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:38 am

I like this poem. Although you don't budge from your position as an unbeliever, which prevents the poem from being revelatory, it is still an interesting read. There is a lofty quality to the language, which I like.

Still, if seeing a ghost doesn't bring any revelation, then one has to wonder about the speaker. Ghosts are pretty dramatic things. I find myself wanting some kind of revelation in the poem.

You mention "high" or "up" in four places, and it feels a little redundant:

Title: Up
First line: God is a long way up,
Line 12: for God is very high
Line 17: It is a long way up, they tell us
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:39 pm

Hi Caleb,

Glad you enjoyed this one! Yes, it has a bit of my lofty language tendency going on. I like a variety of poems in my MS., and this one is at the unbelief end of the spectrum - hence the closing paradox. One may indeed wonder about the speaker, who is one of my personae.

I chose the word up to open and close the poem, and it is pretty much the poem's theme. So I'll keep it there. But you may indeed have a point regarding the title, which is both overshort and perhaps overkill. I'll have a ponder and see if I come up with an alternative!

Cheers,
John