Dialogue Between the Head and Heart

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:26 am

Dialogue Between the Head and Heart

The head’s a fertile kingdom. In the back alleys, there’s detritus, there are signs of life. Townsfolk go about their business – buying, selling, planning for the future. Acres of land stretch off into the distance – plowed fields, early crops, trees and bridges. A jackdaw turns, lands on a hawthorn in the upper branches. The head has no complaints about anything.

In the heart, there’s really no room to move. A pounding at your senses tells you the great machines are still making sheet metal. Most of this is automated and the few people you see are not doing any heavy lifting. They are supervising, on forklifts, walking from place to place. There are girders, there are walkways, there are markings on the floor. The heart is getting on with things – somebody has to.

There is no dialogue between the head and heart.
Last edited by jisbell00 on Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:29 pm

Greetings, John!

Coo and I apologise for our late arrival to this one. Is it accurate to describe it as a prose poem? Our first thought is that 'Dialogue between the Head and the Heart' might be more fitting, but let us see (*v*)

Now, 'a fertile kingdom'. This seems to presuppose a degree of head-health, not apparent in all. The back alleys with their detritus are effective, though. The actions of the townsfolk indicate a particularly organised mind; the features of the landscape, multiple possibilities. The detail of the jackdaw is interesting, but we're not sure how this all relates to the head's having no complaints. We shall continue to muse (^v^)

The heart feels very constricted here, mechanical and really only a biological entity. We appreciate the imagery; due to experience, we struggle with the notion of mere machine. Certain thoughts cause changes in blood pressure, raising or lowering; to us, that's indicative of a dialogue, unless we haven't understood (*&*) (Coo confused)

Cheerie,
F & (^v^)
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:41 pm

Greetings, Fliss and Coo!

You are always welcome to visit, there is no better time than the present, as they say. 😊
Yes, this is indeed a prose poem! I’ve changed the title as you propose.
I agree, not all have that degree of head health. Glad you like the detritus! Organized – yes. I’m not sure how the jackdaw got in there, he just did. And the head having no complaints also just came along.
I like your phrase biological entity! I agree, the notion of mere machine is not really true to physiology, but it fits the antinomy I’m building up here. There is dialogue between the two, but here, I wanted there to be none.

Cheerie,
John
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:31 am

Greetings, John!

Here we are again, another little visit. We're glad to have helped with the title. Yes, there is a spectrum of head-health, such that we might recommend focus on a particular case. We continue to enjoy 'detritus' and wish you well with the jackdaw and the lack of complaints there.

Our 'biological entity' stems from EBE, 'extraterrestrial biological entity', we think, just an episode of The X-Files (^v^)

Cheerie,
F & (^v^)
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:57 am

Greetings, FLiss and Coo,

I go back and forth on the title now! Thank you for giving me options.

I could make the poem more particular, but it's meant to be a universal thing, at least that's how it feels to me.

Woo-hoo, X-Files!

Cheerie,
John