Alphabets of Heaven and Hell

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:51 am

Alphabets of Heaven and Hell

In Heaven, there is writing. And in it,
all things assume proportion. There, I write
I love you and no lie of any kind
can bend that sentence. And it is the case
that this is sweet. When we and angels meet,
we know our meaning as the heart knows home.
Now, God – to whom all things are possible –
can use this alphabet in such a way
that none can read it if He chooses to.
But that is not a question for today.

In Hell, the alphabet is different:
its purpose is to cause pain. That is why
it states that God is absent in each line.
We won’t escape the feeling that our lies
are met by bigger lies, our pain by pain
we cannot comprehend. And it may be
that in this field of lies and suffering,
the devil may speak true. But who can see
clear to the truth in darkness? Who can know
that heart, that mind? Who has a moment’s rest?
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:53 pm

Greetings John,

Now, alphabets. It's interesting to consider their usages in Heaven and Hell. The word 'case' takes us to Law, although the sentence is more biblical than anything one might read in a legal document. It's pleasant to think that all things written in Heaven are honest, somewhat less so that God might switch things up a bit, let's say (*&*) (confused)

Yes, the alphabet does seem different in Hell as rendered here. We had thought the poem might draw definite distinctions, but with both leaders showing shades of this and that we're left with uncertainty. However, we don't mind that, as we are happy with our own ways (*v*)

The poem seems generally regular IP ('dif-fer-ent'?), with interesting observations and engaging questions. We might return (^v^)

Cheerie,
F & (^v^)
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:14 am

Greetings, Fliss and Coo,

I think this one was born in a dream. It is a bit weird, to my mind, but I like that. Interesting ,as you say! It is the case is a phrase used by a Dutch person I know, and I liked its sound here. It does sound a bit legal, doesn’t it? And yes, there is a fair bit of Bible in here. Sorry about God switching things up a bit – I was thinking of “Mene tekel upharsin,” “You have been weighed in the balance and found wanting,” which is written on the wall at Belshazzar’s feast.
I did want to draw some sort of line between the two alphabets, as between head and heart in that poem. Truth v. lies, joy v. pain, etc. But the two leaders do have free will and have some leeway, it seems in how they use the alphabets. Just to confuse the picture. I am delighted to hear you are both happy with your own ways. 😊
Diff-er-ent indeed! Yup, regular IP. I’m glad you found it interesting!

Cheerie,
John
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:08 pm

Greetings, John,

Now, a dream; well, we are not averse to dream-poems here. And weird is good, naturally (^v^)

We're intrigued by the Dutch person; yes, the phrase is a little legal. We hadn't heard of the writing on the wall of Belshazzar's feast and are intrigued, likewise by various contrasts in the poem. Yes, we have a personal philosophy that works well for us. The regularity is pleasing and it is interesting indeedy (*v*)

Cheerie,
F & (^v^)
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:14 pm

Greetings, Fliss and Word-Bird!

The Dutch person I know is in fact a professor of philosophy, which may account for the dslightly odd phrase. It is a tad formalistic, isn't it?

I'm glad you enjoyed this one - yes, a dream poem, and a bit of a weird one, which is all to the good. Belshazzar's Feast is from the Book of Daniel: Daniel interprets the writing. He's the son of Nebuchadnezzar, the one who went on all fours for seven years after being struck down by God. Dramatic stuff in the OT! Which seems a ripe time for one's own personal philosophy, such as yours.

Cheerie,
John
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:06 pm

Greetings, John!

Ooh, a professor of philosophy; that is interesting. Biffo is a professor of blancmanges (^v^)

It's pleasant to have weird dreams and write about them. Thank-coos for the information concerning the Feast. Did it include blancmanges? They'd have to be placed in bowls and on the floor for anyone on all fours, we suppose. The OT is indeed dramatic. We prefer The Book of Coo (^v^)

Cheerie,
F & (^v^)
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:48 pm

There is altogether too little blancmange in world literature. Eating it on all fours certainly sounds like a novel approach!

Woo-hoo, Book of Coo!

Cheerie,
John
Leaf
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:24 pm

Ooh yes, World Literature could certainly benefit from blancmange! It features in the Book of Coo, for example (^v^)

Cheerie,
F & (^v^)
jisbell00
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:34 pm

That is most fitting.

Cheerie,
John