Addressing My Demons

New to poetry? Unsure about the quality of your work? Then why not post here to receive some gentle feedback.
phillyk1

Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:37 am

Your dark shadow suffocates my living
Gasping for the "oxygen of happiness"
A long drag of air, followed by a pause
Evaporates into dust, still choking
A relentless force, no sign of an end
The lights are on but no one's answering
I know how they operate, they just won't leave
But it takes 2 to tango, and nothing's changed
So now we're above the clouds, am I right?
For now, but descent is inevitable
Does it have to be? Any alternative?
Only you know the answer.
You are me.
So prove it.

Feedback appreciated
J.R.Pearson

Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:19 pm

A few thoughts Philly: it's hard to read all yur stuff in Italics, try italisizing the pertinet issues or ppl speaking. Dont quote yourself when
u wanna make a fresh statement.
Beyond the blind protozoan maestro & his wand--Ed Pavlic

http://rp-author.com/BurningGorgeous/

http://www.afterliterature.org/
kerri

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:33 pm

Wow. Something powerful going on here I think.

The first five lines reeled me in, although I didn't see why there were quotation marks round 'oxygen of happiness'. Maybe I'm missing something?

I thought 'The lights are on but no one's answering' perhaps a variation on something of a cliche theme. I'm sure there's a better line available there. I didn't understand the following line; who are 'they'? Presumably not the demons as you're addressing them directly in the rest of the piece.

"It takes 2 to tango and nothing's changed" is a nice line, although personally I can't see what's gained by using the number 2 instead of the word two; it jars for me.

I found the last five lines interesting; indicative presumably of the struggle with the demons. A final observation though - what exactly is it that needs to be proved?

I think that the idea behind this is great, but for me it lacks a certain clarity; the struggle with the demons needs drawing out of it and into focus a little more. Maybe worth working it over?

Hope this helps a little.

Kerri x