The IBPC and Poets' Graves

Please read the rules before you post.
Sharra
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster
antispam: no

Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:03 pm

Steve thanks for your support from me too. I have to say I'm still bemused by the whole thing and feel like we were either speaking a different language or living on a diff planet hehe.
And Ben you most definitely don't have anything to apologise for - you did nothing wrong at all :)
nicky
x
It is at the edge of the
petal that love waits
bodkin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
Location: Two inches behind my eyes just above the bridge of my nose.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:55 pm

Sharra wrote:Steve thanks for your support from me too. I have to say I'm still bemused by the whole thing and feel like we were either speaking a different language or living on a diff planet hehe.
And Ben you most definitely don't have anything to apologise for - you did nothing wrong at all :)
nicky
x
Speaking a different language! How dare you say that about my mother?

I think the only true comment on the whole incident is one of these:

:roll:

(only one that could be seen from space)
http://www.ianbadcoe.uk/
Aliceaforethought
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:37 pm

Sharra wrote:Steve thanks for your support from me too. I have to say I'm still bemused by the whole thing and feel like we were either speaking a different language or living on a diff planet hehe.
Yeah, I said everything I thought about it all early on, but realised from the replies I was getting that it was never going to get anywhere and I might just as well be trying to explain Judaism to Hanns Johst and Roland Freisler (oops, what's that internet law about saying things like that? Guess I just blew the game...). Anyway I abandoned it and went on holiday, and put it down (rather optimistically) to a conflict of narratives. As I said to Ros in a PM a couple of weeks ago, I've had some earlier experience of some of this, so I didn't expect too much from the outset. I wasn't disappointed in that, putting it mildly.

Seems like pretty much anything can be explained away and justified anyway.

There have been other judges too who just haven't got stuff and have projected their own fantasies onto poems when commenting on them. It's not unusual at all (in fact sometimes it's been a standing joke). I've done the same when critiquing poems (haven't we all?), but I think the trick is that when you get told you've made a mistake you just hold your hands up and say okay then... There's no real shame in that in 2010 when it's often difficult to know where people are coming from anyway: the 'shame' is in trying to do a blanket revisionist denial in order to avoid any culpability at any cost.

Steve.
Ros

Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:16 pm

I bow to David's wisdom. We've probably said all we should. It's not as if words change anything in this case!

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.