Lightly stylised water-colour

Where poets, painters, photographers and other artists can mingle.
Danté
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:45 pm

Yes the picture is on the piss because my taping was a bit rushed :D It has to be trimmed out, once I am sure I am not going to wet the paper again.
It's on A4 425gsm which makes everything too damn fiddly but hey ho lol. Best viewed from a few feet.

to anticipate touching what is unseen seems far more interesting than seeing what the hand can not touch
delph_ambi
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:46 am

It's a charming picture. I love the way you've done the sea and the sand and the reflections in front of her feet. Only criticism is she looks like she's about to topple over backwards, which is a little unnerving for the viewer.
Danté
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks Delph_ambi, strangely enough the actual picture sat on my mantle-piece, still taped to my trusty board doesn't make the subject seem quite as precarious, but it's a valid observation and I'm pleased that other aspects of the picture have come across well, as I have not done any water colour work for ages prior to my previous post. I actually want this picture to be as good as I can get it, I'll paint it again and adjust my subject rather than having her exactly as in my original photo which captured a transition in movement which I now realise requires a little adjustment in respect of posture and center of gravity. I'll get back on the pencils again soon :D I got the two colour pencil landscapes mounted and framed, and I feel pretty chuffed with the results considering my inexperience with the pencils :mrgreen:

Many thanks for your input, very much appreciated

Danté
to anticipate touching what is unseen seems far more interesting than seeing what the hand can not touch
Mic
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster
antispam: no

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:39 pm

Hi Dante,
I think this - and your subject - is just lovely. I hadn't noticed the topple effect until delph mentioned it, and it does now feel a little unsettling. But once addressed, this'll be a keeper.

Mic
"Do not feel lonely, the entire universe is inside you" - Rumi
JohnLott
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:42 pm

I like the majority of this Dante, (The posture has been mentioned), but there seems to be a problem with the direction of the waves relative to the wet beach line. Not a big issue but helps to emphasise the unlikely posture.
The way you have chosen and placed the colour is great.

:D

J.
Before you shave with Occam’s razor - Try epilation or microlaser
Danté
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Thanks Mic, I do have a purpose for the picture and I have painted it again, thanks for your input.

John, many thanks, colour and light are my priorities in much of what I do when creating a picture. I agree the sea is not quite right, to be honest I changed my mind about the composition after starting the picture, unfortunately with water colour it is not possible to get a good alteration as the pigments are absorbed into the paper which renders the light pretty useless if messed with too much. I had pretty much decided to paint the piece again which is a rare event where I am concerned, but this medium is quick to work with so not a great issue if one decides to paint a few versions of the same piece.

Much appreciated

Danté