View near Lizard Point and Marsden Bay (repainted)

Where poets, painters, photographers and other artists can mingle.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:49 pm

Reverted to the original wave and tweaked a few areas, now that the paint has dried.
I might add a touch more shadow to the corner of the cliff to the left.

Please reduce your picture to 50% for the repainted version and and 40% for the original.

Thanks , mac, for the valued nudges.

COMPLETELY repainted this picture. (second one down). The background is much softer and mistier in reality, but hey!
JJ

new waves 005.JPG
new waves 005.JPG (1.09 MiB) Viewed 3760 times
Attachments
New Wave Near Lizard Point.jpg
New Wave Near Lizard Point.jpg (238.85 KiB) Viewed 3447 times
Last edited by JJWilliamson on Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Long time a child and still a child
Macavity

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:28 pm

Glad to be of help JJ, though I am just expressing a personal, rather than 'educated', response. I am enjoying your oils and look forward to more. Thumbs-up on your revision :)

Who are your influences?

best

mac
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks, mac

I must confess I'm much happier with this revision. It's inspired me to complete a set from this stretch of coast.
Got to get my own photos, though, and do more fieldwork.

My influences are many and various with the chiaroscuro artists impressing me most, both old and contemporary, but especially Caravaggio.
Then there was Cezanne in my youth, Monet, TURNER, people I just happen to stumble across. One of my current favourites is Ivan Aivazorvsky,
with his dramatic seascapes. https://www.google.com/culturalinstitut ... p&hl=en-GB

I also like Stuart Davis and his tonal-impressionism and a number of the contemporary American teachers. Lots of influences when I think about it,
including the abstract painters. Some of them, anyway. I don't like anything associated with The Angel of the North monstrosity (apart from the location), and frequently get slammed for my opinion. I remember the classical painters from my school days and should study them more.

Ray Ward was a favourite north east painter of mine (watched him work once or twice) but where he is now is anybody's guess. Another well known north eastern artist was the late Tom Finch. I admire his honest watercolours.

Anyway, who are your influences? Who did/do you admire most at this time?

Best

JJ
Macavity

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:40 pm

Thanks for sharing that Aivazorvsky - I can see the connection. Enjoyed.

Historically: Dutch Golden Age, paintings of domestic interiors and plays with light, Vermeer in particular. My homage...

https://theopenmouse.wordpress.com/2014 ... il-wood-2/

Contemporary (though just died), Howard Hodgkin, totally absorbed by his colours. He is in a mac poem too...

http://londongrip.co.uk/2014/11/london- ... 145/#pwood

If a Ben Nicholson is in a gallery, I spend time there, I like the 'shifting balance' in his work.

Never seen a Franz Marc in a gallery, but I love the colour in his horse pics

http://www.franzmarc.org/images/paintin ... horses.jpg

best

mac
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:15 am

I nearly mentioned Vermeer in my earlier reply. Enjoyed the poem.

Howard Hodgkin is an interesting choice. His colours are vivid. An artist (abstract) friend of mine often says that colour sells very well.
You favour the contemporary abstract artists, I see. I've just finished an acrylic expressionist painting. I'll post it soon. Wasn't going to but I will now. Might. :)

Those horses have life. Brilliant movement. The supporting curves work a treat.

Thanks for the response, poems and all.

Best

JJ
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:59 pm

Repainted

JJ