Reclaiming

Where poets, painters, photographers and other artists can mingle.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:03 am

Oil on canvas 60 x 50 cms. Reminds me SO much of low tide at South Shields Beach.
Ponds and Beach 13 11 2018 (2) 001 (resized 800 pix) POL.jpg
Ponds and Beach 13 11 2018 (2) 001 (resized 800 pix) POL.jpg (126.37 KiB) Viewed 5037 times
Long time a child and still a child
Macavity

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:22 pm

People JJ! I like it. Great sky. What palette are you using for the sand?

Not keen on the title

cheers

mac
churinga
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:18 am

Hi JJ

Always good to see your work. One thought and it also applies to the previous work you posted, if I was looking at this scene, the waves and people would be sharper. I wonder if it is your camera? That it is less sharply focused than eyesight. i do, or did before getting cataracts, have very good long distance vision so it may just be me.

cheers

Ross
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:16 pm

Thank you once again, mac and Ross, for dropping in to have a gander. Appreciated, as always.

Mac, the palette for the sand is yellow ochre, cad yellow, alizarin crimson, a touch of burnt umber and titanium white. I added the darker colours with white, for the sand in the sea, to prevent the sand from turning green.

In answer to your question, Ross, I'm not sure. The painting is really quite large at 60 x 50 cms so the details are more apparent in real life. Further to that I seem to be getting a lot of noise on the photos, and the light is poor to boot. I rely on autofocus on my iphone 5 for the pics, so that could well be the source of all my problems. It's a distant image so some blurring would be normal but not too much.

Best to both

JJ

PS

With regards to the title, mac, I was getting at the tide reclaiming the sand after the locals and tourists had snuck onto the flats to play and walk. I do need a better title. I originally called it "Walking the Tide". I won't be offended if you can come up with something special. :)

J
churinga
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:48 pm

Hi again JJ
My expereince is that all cameras distort the image since they can only focus the lens on one distance whereas we when we survey a scene focus on various parts of the scene separately and form a composite image. I am very wary of painting from photos that have distance in them. Corot is good example of this. There is one painting of his that I could compare to a modern colour photo of the same scene which had not changed. His painting had more clarity and detail than the photo.

cheers

Ross
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:19 pm

That's more than interesting, Ross, and something I can follow. I actually tend to go for tighter detail with my pastel paintings, for some reason. Thanks for getting back to me, and I'll take a look at Corot again in a minute.

best

JJ

PS

Do you have the name of the painting because he tends to use both techniques. IE realism and pre-impressionism. He was a true master, wasn't he.

J
Macavity

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:47 am

Hopefully not too silly a question JJ, but wouldn't the people be walking more on the sand than paddling the water?

best

mac
churinga
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:48 am

The Island and Bridge of San Bartolomeo (1825) to see a photo google Tiber island,Rome. Wiki has several colour photos, it hasnt changed except a large tree has grown up.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:39 am

They tend to enjoy both, mac. When the tide is low, a film of water often reflects the sky, giving it a much deeper look. There's also something attractive about walking on the wet, almost flooded sand.
Macavity wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:47 am
Hopefully not too silly a question JJ, but wouldn't the people be walking more on the sand than paddling the water?

best

mac
Thanks, Ross. I'm on it.
churinga wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:48 am
The Island and Bridge of San Bartolomeo (1825) to see a photo google Tiber island,Rome. Wiki has several colour photos, it hasnt changed except a large tree has grown up.
Best

JJ
Macavity

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:15 am

Sorry JJ, another question, just wondered how you're using the alizarin crimson?
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:12 am

Macavity wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:15 am
Sorry JJ, another question, just wondered how you're using the alizarin crimson?
No prob's mac

If you add red to a sandy colour it drops the tone, providing you don't add too much. It also works well when mixed with the yellows before adding it to the very wet sand. It gives the impression of dark yellow without changing the blues to green. You have to be quick, though, with no constant blending.

Most wet sands have a red tinge in there somewhere. The photo of this painting isn't really showing the hints of sand peeping through the water, especially close to the people.

JJ
Macavity

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:51 am

The photo of this painting isn't really showing the hints of sand peeping through the water, especially close to the people.
That would explain it!
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:17 am

I'll try for a better photo, mac.

JJ