Breaker (revised)

Where poets, painters, photographers and other artists can mingle.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:40 pm

Oil on canvas, 76 x 61 cms. Largely wet in wet and finished with wet on dry. I've been working on this one for much of the week, viral infection permitting, and think I'm just about finished. The rock doesn't often see this kind of wave but during the highest of high tides the sea swamps the northern tip of Trow Rocks. There's not much rock showing, but from this point onwards there's nothing but sand and water between rock and the mouth of the Tyne. See what you think.

Palette: phthalo blue, cerulean blue, Prussian blue, phthalo green, titanium white, burnt umber (dot), cadmium yellow, cad' red, Paynes grey, gold ochre and primary yellow.

Revised version on top.
Breaker Over trow Rock 07 04 2019 003 (repainted & resized).jpg
Breaker Over trow Rock 07 04 2019 003 (repainted & resized).jpg (140.82 KiB) Viewed 13034 times
Breaker Over Trow Rock 06 04 2019 002 (resized 600 pix).jpg
Breaker Over Trow Rock 06 04 2019 002 (resized 600 pix).jpg (141.76 KiB) Viewed 13047 times
Long time a child and still a child
Macavity

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:18 am

Super picture JJ. Lovely play of light.

best

mac
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:49 am

Thank you very much, mac, for the kind words. Appreciated.

I much prefer the revised version, in fact I'm very pleased with the final result if I'm honest. :)

Best

JJ
NotQuiteSure
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:51 am

Like the revision JJ, the froth/foam (what's the term?) in the foreground is much more energetic
but I preferred the whiter clouds (top left) in the original, or is that just misperception?

Regards, Not
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:23 pm

Thank you very much, Not.

Delighted you like the revision and really pleased you let me know. A couple of friends (artists) of mine mentioned that the white water wasn't fluid enough, prompting the revision. So, an honest opinion really does yield dividends. The sky hasn't been touched so perhaps the photos are slightly different, something that often happens when lighting conditions change. Always like a question, though. :)

Best

JJ
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no

Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:43 pm

Well, this is gawjus.
I feel the power of the sea and the waves crashing against the rocks.
I love the sky.
You caught the light in your wave.
Now, I hate saying this, but I know you want an honest critique, as I would, so I have to tell you
your big wave looks rather staid. It needs more fluidity.
There's no random violence .
No spray .
Look at the rock.
The water is pounding against it but totally misses he right hand side.
It's great JJ, but it could be magnificent .
riverrun
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:08 pm

There is something archaic in the mist-haze-fog uk scenery. It completly eludes me. You can clearly see this aspect in Shakespeare main tragedies, also in painters like JW Turner, the amazing pallete of cloudy weather. It's rare to see clear skies. So all british, welsh and scots are conciously and unconciously adapted to this, and also all art saturated by it. Sophie Chiari in Shakespeare's Representation of Weather, Climate and Environment (2018)" would explain better this aspect: " 'The ayre of England is temperate, but thicke, cloudy and misty', Fynes Moryson writes in his 1617 travel diary, An itinerary. This casual observation displays the tensions which Shakespeare's contemporaries must have felt, torn as they were between the love of their country and the acute awareness of its climatic imperfections, between what they longed for and what they actually went through. For Elizabethans and Jacobeans alike, climate could durably affect the nature of men whose humours were temporarily modified, through the skin, by good or bad weather spells. Admittedly, the debate was not then exactly formulated along those terms, but this rough recapitulation encapsulates the general ideas that circulated in many works of the period. Climate and weather-related topics were never thought of as being totally independent from a broader frame of references including cosmological and theological issues"

best
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue May 07, 2019 7:20 am

Long time no see, Pauline! Good to see you again!

Sorry about the tardy response but I've had back to back viral infections and I've been up to the North East (Sooth Shiels) for a jolly this weekend. :)

Thank you very much for the honest and very useful critique. You're right about structured and honest critique because it always helps the artist to look deeper, even when it's just a judicial nudge.
Pauline wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:43 pm
Well, this is gawjus. ...Thank you kindly. :)
I love the sky.
You caught the light in your wave. ...You say all the right things. :D

Now, I hate saying this, but I know you want an honest critique, as I would, so I have to tell you
your big wave looks rather staid. It needs more fluidity.
There's no random violence.
No spray . ...I will definitely add some more action to the borders of the wave. Good points.
Look at the rock.
The water is pounding against it but totally misses he right hand side. ...Ah, well, the wave is angled and it hasn't reached the rocks on the right hand side yet.
It's great JJ, but it could be magnificent . ...I like the sound of that, and not a gull in sight.
Are you still painting? I hope so and would love to see some of your recent attempts.

Best

JJ
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue May 07, 2019 7:33 am

Thank you very much for the very interesting response to this painting, River. Appreciated.

These green and damp islands can be both blessing and blight but we do enjoy the occasional brief hiatus from depressing weather.
I visited the North East of England this weekend, on the coast overlooking this exact spot, and the weather was simply startling. We had
a gale blowing from the sea, which brought calamitous waves crashing onto the rocks and beach. Line after line of glorious breakers
blessed the shoreline and when I downloaded my photos I found I'd taken 57 super pics. It was an unexpected treat!

Did you like the painting? I wasn't really sure if you liked it or just found it too much. Not a problem, btw, but I did wonder.

Thanks again for dropping in to share your thoughts. Very good of you.

Best

JJ
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Wed May 08, 2019 3:50 pm

JJWilliamson wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:43 pm
Well, this is gawjus. ...Thank you kindly.
Not a bother :)
JJWilliamson wrote:
I love the sky.
You caught the light in your wave. ...You say all the right things.
:wink:
JJWilliamson wrote:
Are you still painting? I hope so and would love to see some of your recent attempts.
I am JJ, and I would love to share them with you but unfortunately I'm unable to do so.
For some reason I'm unable to upload my images.
I don't get offered the option.
This new layout is crap.
I just keep getting a previous "Draft" which I posted yonks ago
I've deleted the "draft " but still can't upload.
I've asked for assistance but I've not had any reply.
Hey ho.
I will just enjoy your posts. :D
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Wed May 08, 2019 5:50 pm

How are you doing it JJ?
I've tried various devices.
Phone, tablet, laptop...
Just ain't getting an option to upload.
So frustraiting. :(
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu May 09, 2019 5:04 pm

I've just attempted to add another painting and I'm having similar problems, Pauline. It will only allow me to "delete" my added file for some reason. The option to place the image inline isn't available. I'll try again later to see if things settle down, if not I'll take the problem into the mod forum.

Puzzled

JJ
Pauline wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:50 pm
How are you doing it JJ?
I've tried various devices.
Phone, tablet, laptop...
Just ain't getting an option to upload.
So frustraiting. :(
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Thu May 09, 2019 6:22 pm

Phew.
Thought it was just me.
It's been going on for several days now.
Hope you can get it sorted JJ :D
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri May 10, 2019 8:01 am

I've tried to post a few times over the last 24 hours, Pauline, but things remain the same, I'm afraid. I've left a message and request in the Mod Forum to see if we can resolve this problem. I'll keep you posted. (pardon the pun) :)

JJ
Pauline wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:22 pm
Phew.
Thought it was just me.
It's been going on for several days now.
Hope you can get it sorted JJ :D
Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sat May 18, 2019 8:05 pm

No joy hey.
I've tried again JJ.
No change.
Gonna give it up as a bad job. :(
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun May 19, 2019 4:59 pm

Hi Pauline

I've sent a message to Admin and am waiting for a reply. I've also tried posting again and find I'm still registering as invalid. What a cheek. :)

I've sent you a PM with further details.

JJ
Nicola
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wed May 22, 2019 6:04 am

Thanks for your patience. I've upgraded again in a hope the problem will be fixed. Please let me know if it has,

Thanks
Nicola