Onshore Wind (revised)

Where poets, painters, photographers and other artists can mingle.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:24 pm

Oil on canvas 50 x 40 cms. This is a simple painting of the sea at South Shields main beach. Third of four paintings. Interestingly, for me, this is the kind of seascape I like best. Just the sea and a few gulls. See what you think.

The palette was: Titanium white, phthalo blue, French ultramarine, cad red, cad yellow, yellow ochre, burnt umber, Payne's grey.
Onshore Wind 08 07 2019 001 (550 pix).jpg
Onshore Wind 08 07 2019 001 (550 pix).jpg (138.48 KiB) Viewed 7883 times
South Shields Waves Final 09 06 2019 003 (550 pix).jpg
South Shields Waves Final 09 06 2019 003 (550 pix).jpg (130.84 KiB) Viewed 8260 times
Long time a child and still a child
Macavity

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:37 am

Those clouds are brooding a rain JJ or perhaps it's because there's rain outside my window! You definitely got depth in the horizon. My suggestion would be to break up some of those lines of waves near the shore.

best

mac
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:42 pm

Thanks for looking at this one mac and thanks for the comments. Appreciated.

I thought I HAD broken the waves closest to the shore or are we talking about different waves?

Incidentally, the palette was: Titanium white, phthalo blue, French ultramarine, cad red, cad yellow, burnt umber, Payne's grey.

Best

JJ
Macavity

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:04 am

Apologies JJ. I didn't articulate my viewpoint very well. I guess it is the medium that has drawn my eye to composition. In reality I would be absorbed by colour and application of paint. That is my Art interest. And afterall 'waves' by definition come in lines and therefore when framed will highlight the horizontal, especially on a small screen.

Anyway, I always enjoy your work and it is one of the attractions of PG.

all the best

mac

ps I noticed you mentioned cad yellow, did you consider yellow ochre?
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:02 am

Thanks again, mac
Macavity wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:04 am
Apologies JJ. I didn't articulate my viewpoint very well. I guess it is the medium that has drawn my eye to composition. In reality I would be absorbed by colour and application of paint. That is my Art interest. And afterall 'waves' by definition come in lines and therefore when framed will highlight the horizontal, especially on a small screen. ...The waves, on this particular day, were wide and manifold. As you imply, they came in waves. :D

Anyway, I always enjoy your work and it is one of the attractions of PG. ...Fame at last!! :lol:

Thank you very much for that

all the best

mac

ps I noticed you mentioned cad yellow, did you consider yellow ochre? ...Yes! I missed yellow ochre out by mistake. I tried a number of combinations to get the beach the right shade, in an attempt to show very wet sand. In the event I think it's too dark and will address that issue soon.
Best

JJ
bjondon
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:47 pm

Really like that little lip of wet sand in the foreground, the colours feel very authentic.
Not entirely convinced by the clouds . . . but it's always difficult to judge from the small screen.
Do like this full frontal approach to the sea . . .like a big duvet cover.
Best,
Jules
Macavity

Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:13 am

Have been doing some Coastal Walking JJ and was given a nudge on 'expectations'...I thought I saw a church flooded by the sea...in fact when I was closer...it still had the shape of a church!

https://www.visitpembrokeshire.com/explore-pembrokeshire/beaches/broad-haven-south
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:53 pm

Ha, nice one, mac. Yes, it does look like a church, doesn't it. :)

JJ
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:57 pm

Thanks for the kind and thoughtful comments, Jules. Much appreciated.

The cloud is a developing rising anvil, one that heralds stormy weather. The size really does make a difference, you're quite right, especially where clarity is concerned. Nevertheless, it gives you a good impression of the painting, I think.

Delighted you liked.

JJ
bjondon wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:47 pm
Really like that little lip of wet sand in the foreground, the colours feel very authentic.
Not entirely convinced by the clouds . . . but it's always difficult to judge from the small screen.
Do like this full frontal approach to the sea . . .like a big duvet cover.
Best,
Jules
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:37 am

Now that I am using the Active Topics link to see everything on the board, I am suddenly seeing things -- like paintings -- that I didn't know that people were posting. I think this is a lovely painting. For me, the most notable things are its good perspective and depth, and the realistic waves. I get the feeling that I am actually looking into the distance, something which I think is hard to achieve in a painting. I'm more fond of the ocean than I am of the sky and clouds, which don't feel as three dimensional to me. The ocean looks very deep, but the sky looks a little flat. Altogether, however, a fine painting.
Last edited by CalebPerry on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.
Leaf

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:49 pm

Hi JJ,

I'd like to go paddling in your painting. All the white frothiness in the foreground is very inviting, and I think the curved boundary where water meets sand is super-effective -- it feels like the moment just before the tide returns.

I also like the shape of the big wave breaking farther out, and the colours in the clouds are interesting. I think I can make out some horizontal lines in the sky, but I'm not sure whether this is due to my new laptop. Laptops are odd sometimes :?

Of course I'm delighted to make out a few gulls and I think their positioning across the canvas really adds to the feeling of a windy day at sea :>) (smiley bird)

Best wishes,
Leaf
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:10 am

Thank you very much, Perry and Leaf, for the great critiques. It was a pleasure to read your analyses and comments,
particularly as the depth of thought was very apparent. Much appreciated.

Best

JJ

PS

I have a revised version, hence the tardy response, which I'll post soon. Revisions are tricky little suckers, because it's SO difficult
to reverse the process of you cock it up. :)

J
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:14 am

The revised version is at the top of the post btw. :)

JJ
David

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:25 pm

Perry wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:37 am
Now that I am using the Active Topics link to see everything on the board, I am suddenly seeing things -- like paintings -- that I didn't know that people were posting.
Yay! That's the attraction of it, isn't it, Perry?
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:26 pm

David, I will definitely use the Active Topics link from now on. I remember that there were times when I made a post on a forum that I thought was obscure, yet people still saw it. Now I know why. You may regret having me post on even more threads than I already am.

JJ, I didn't realize that your painting was an electronic painting. I thought it was a real painting.

It is hard to say whether I like the newer version or not. At the bottom, the waves are turning to water, while in the previous version the shallow water is shown as foam -- both strike me as realistic. In the newer version, the small criss-crossing waves -- the very thin waves near the bottom -- are more prominent, and I'm not sure if that makes them look more real or less real. The sky hasn't changed much except the tint is slightly less yellow. I honestly can't say which painting is better.
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:00 am

Thanks again, Perry. Much appreciated.
Perry wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:26 pm

JJ, I didn't realize that your painting was an electronic painting. I thought it was a real painting. ...It's definitely a real painting, Perry, using oil paints on canvas, 50 x 50 cms. I've never attempted a digital piece in my life, much preferring the tangibility of reality. At the last count I have 53 brushes, three knives, five palettes, two easels, tons of charcoal, pencils, linseed oil, white spirit, masking tape, fixatives, and a host of supporting bits and pieces. :D I do know some excellent digital artists but I'm not among them.

It is hard to say whether I like the newer version or not. ...Often the case with revisions, when the artist takes an unexpected turn. Truth be known, I'm still thinking about it.

At the bottom, the waves are turning to water, while in the previous version the shallow water is shown as foam -- both strike me as realistic. In the newer version, the small criss-crossing waves -- the very thin waves near the bottom -- are more prominent, and I'm not sure if that makes them look more real or less real. ...Excellent point. My thoughts exactly. So, when I saw how the photo turned out I examined the real painting to check the highlights. They are not so dazzling in reality so all is not lost. I could always tame them down some more and might well do just that.

The sky hasn't changed much except the tint is slightly less yellow. I honestly can't say which painting is better. ...I lost some sand because the beach was barely visible, adjusted colour and tweaked the waves in an attempt to up the ante on the realism. Apart from that there wasn't much in the way of change. I understand your indecision and will keep your thoughts in mind for the future.
Thanks again for your valued opinion.

Best

JJ
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:06 pm

How do you change a painting once it's done and the paint has dried? Do you paint over the dried paint? I didn't think that a painting could be "revised" like a poem.

So the overall darkness of the newer version is just the difference in the photographs? You didn't somehow manage to darken the whole painting, did you?

It would be nice if you could post a larger image of the painting.
Signature info:
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:48 am

That's pretty much it, Perry. You simply mix some fresh paint and paint over the original. If there are any sections standing proud of the canvas you remove the irregularities with the edge of a palette knife. They get very sharp over time. Most artists paint in layers, developing tone and variation with each successive layer, so the practice is quite common and surprisingly useful. Often, it takes three or four applications of paint before the artist's initial intent emerges. I tend to paint in blocks, initially, then add to the detail over time. If using a wet in wet technique you apply wet paint over wet paint to speed up the process. Of course, if the paint is still wet it can all be removed with a rag and some white spirit, but that's a bit drastic.

Yes, the light conditions of the time will have an enormous effect on the quality of the photo. Natural daylight is best, out of the sun, where the colours really show well. However, on dark or wet days, a set of white lights serves adequately. I take most of my photos in my kitchen-diner, where I have six white light bulbs hanging from two light fittings in the ceiling. I changed them from the standard yellow bulbs to take a more natural looking shot.

I'll post a photo of the painting standing on the easel I used to paint it. I should be able to increase the size. Here it is.
Onshore Wind 08 07 2019 003 (600 pix).jpg
Onshore Wind 08 07 2019 003 (600 pix).jpg (143.94 KiB) Viewed 7834 times
Thanks again for showing an interest and thanks for the great questions.

Best

JJ

Perry wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:06 pm
How do you change a painting once it's done and the paint has dried? Do you paint over the dried paint? I didn't think that a painting could be "revised" like a poem.

So the overall darkness of the newer version is just the difference in the photographs? You didn't somehow manage to darken the whole painting, did you?

It would be nice if you could post a larger image of the painting.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:57 am

This one's a bit bigger.
Onshore Wind 08 07 2019 003 (800 pix).jpg
Onshore Wind 08 07 2019 003 (800 pix).jpg (236 KiB) Viewed 7834 times
Macavity

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:45 am

That has far more impact JJ. Really like the criss-cross too.

cheers

mac
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:39 pm

Thanks, mac

Yes, the bigger pic's seem to have more impact so I'll bear that in mind for future paintings.

JJ
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:25 am

Thank you for the closer look.

Is it possible on this forum to post a picture in reduced size which is then enlarged when you open it in it's own page?
Signature info:
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:31 pm

Hi Perry
Perry wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:25 am
Thank you for the closer look. ...You're welcome.

Is it possible on this forum to post a picture in reduced size which is then enlarged when you open it in it's own page? ...Not that I'm aware of, Perry. I'll ask around and see what's possible, but I'm not really sure what you're asking for.
JJ