Mac's Watercolour Attempts November (revised)

Where poets, painters, photographers and other artists can mingle.
Sid
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:38 pm

Mac,

I ask this with tongue on cheek (as a non artist)

Is it an abstract bunny rabbit down by the water passing gas? :D
Like the imprint left, an effect on your being - beautiful, wonderful, succinct.
Macavity

Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:37 pm

Rabbit sighting? :D

Pauline
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster
antispam: no

Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:55 pm

Great attempt Mac.
Watercolour is the most unforgiving medium.
I've tried and failed many times to control this bitch without success.

OK. The tree is top heavy and seriously out of proportion.
Sid wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:38 pm
I ask this with tongue on cheek (as a non artist)

Is it an abstract bunny rabbit down by the water passing gas?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm guessing that's the trunk of the tree.

The thing that made MY eyes pop was the unfortunate knot in your table pointing toward the tree :wink:

Great to see you posting your efforts :D
Macavity

Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:09 am

The thing that made MY eyes pop was the unfortunate knot in your table pointing toward the tree
I thought that was the best bit :D
Sid
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:14 am

Ah yes I was looking at it side on.

Great effort Mac as I said I cannot paint or draw so cannot contribute artistically. Only with humour...

Turning it 90 degrees the knot definitely adds texture!
Like the imprint left, an effect on your being - beautiful, wonderful, succinct.
Macavity

Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:49 am

I cannot paint or draw so cannot contribute artistically
Learning a craft takes time Sid, but this one is an enjoyable one to spend time on. Have a go! You'll be surprised how the eye begins to view/frame the world in a fresh way :)

One lesson I have learn't is the distortion from the photograph posted: a plus in that the colours are richer and the painting has more visual depth, but a negative in that some effects are less subtle, more amplified while others are lost.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:30 am

Good for you, mac!

Delighted to see a painting from you and a watercolour to boot. I echo Pauline's comments regarding this medium
because it IS very unforgiving. One of the great things about oil, as a medium, is it's forgiving nature. If you cock things up
you can simply scrape it off and start again: not so with watercolour.

Your painting has depth but your background colours could be muted to imply aerial perspective, also the lines are a bit sharp
on the horizon. A change to both would enhance the illusion of distance.

Your central tree dominates the scene and steals the show from your house. If it was reduced in its bulk and moved to one side
it would play a wonderful supporting role.

Be careful when placing windows in a building. They're the devil to get right and although they're open to loose treatment
they wouldn't usually hug the roof. Size is also a consideration. I'm always getting them wrong and have just recently revised
my Budapest Parliament windows. I'll post an update soon.

Your colours are delightfully clean and inviting, giving the painting a kind of expressionistic feel, especially with that excellent
swirl in the sky.

Sorry about the tardy response but I'm in the middle of a couple of winter oils. Come Christmas I cover the dining room walls
with snow paintings to create that festive mood. It looks pretty cold when the table's set and the fake snow is in position.

Anyway, great to see you posting. Keep at it and please post some more.

See if you can crop your next pic and stand it up if pos'. :)

Best

JJ
Long time a child and still a child
Macavity

Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:44 pm

Come Christmas I cover the dining room wallswith snow paintings to create that festive mood. It looks pretty cold when the table's set and the fake snow is in position.
Wow! Most festive JJ :lol:

Some good advice there. Appreciated. I suspect this will be a very long 'journey', but perhaps my tribulations will encourage others to post :D

I'm sticking with watercolour for now because of the 'craft' element and I've tried oils in the past (messy!)

The tree seems to have 'sabatoged' this effort and for some reason I find leafy ones difficult to do. I do like lines, but I can certainly do vague...for distance.

cheers

mac