The Durdle Door (revised)

Where poets, painters, photographers and other artists can mingle.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:37 pm

Oil on canvas 50 x 40 cms. The Durdle Door is to be found in Dorset, England. The colours and sheer beauty were enough to attract my attention. Just had to paint this lovely rock formation. See what you think.

Revision
Durdle Door 29 04 2020 003 700 pix.jpg
Durdle Door 29 04 2020 003 700 pix.jpg (171.75 KiB) Viewed 7601 times
The Durdle Door 27 04 2020 005 700 pix.jpg
The Durdle Door 27 04 2020 005 700 pix.jpg (179.45 KiB) Viewed 7650 times
Long time a child and still a child
Macavity

Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:14 am

Interesting JJ. Are you experimenting with your style? The foreground detail has your characteristic, almost photographic reality - the green/yellow vegetation. Much of the painting draws my eye to painterly colours - is that a red ochre mixed with yellow used on the beach? Liked the eddies around the door and the section of sand/grass to the left. Not sure about the horizon line, is that an island in the distance?

thank you for sharing

mac
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback, mac, and very interesting comments.
Macavity wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:14 am
Interesting JJ. Are you experimenting with your style? The foreground detail has your characteristic, almost photographic reality - the green/yellow vegetation. ...I'm experimenting with distance more than anything else, almost dropping the colour altogether as the view recedes.

Much of the painting draws my eye to painterly colours - is that a red ochre mixed with yellow used on the beach? ...I used Naples yellow mixed with cad red (only a touch) then lobbed a touch of gold ochre into the mix. I had to fiddle with the tone by adding some titanium white in places.

Liked the eddies around the door and the section of sand/grass to the left. Not sure about the horizon line, is that an island in the distance? ...Yes, it's a barely visible island right on the horizon. The horizon line was very pale on my source image.

thank you for sharing ...You're welcome.

mac
Best

JJ
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:05 am

I'm not seeing as much detail in the painting as I would like to see. Of course, the photo of the painting isn't very large, so perhaps I just can't see it because of the resolution of the picture. The foreground grass looks the most realistic to me.
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:02 pm

Thank you very much, Perry, for looking at this painting and for offering your impressions. Appreciated.

The detail is likely not so apparent because of distance. With this in mind, and because of mac's concerns, I have revised the painting to show more in the way of scale. I've added some highlights to the rock and sand, developed the island on the horizon, smoothed out some of the issues I had with the sea, placed six figures on the beach, two of them children, and finally dotted in some Sea Thrift (pink plant) on the cliff top. I hope this improves the painting. :)

I'll attempt to place the revision above the original for comparison.

All the best

JJ
Perry wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:05 am
I'm not seeing as much detail in the painting as I would like to see. Of course, the photo of the painting isn't very large, so perhaps I just can't see it because of the resolution of the picture. The foreground grass looks the most realistic to me.
CalebPerry
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:16 pm

The changes are good. I like them. The figures on the beach give the picture more perspective.
Signature info:
If you don't like the black theme, it is easy to switch to a lighter color. Just ask me how.
If I don't critique your poem, it is probably because I don't understand it.
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:22 am

Thanks for getting back to me, Perry. I must admit that I like the changes, myself, for the very reasons you cite. The scale and perspective is much clearer with the revisions. Delighted you liked.

JJ
Perry wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:16 pm
The changes are good. I like them. The figures on the beach give the picture more perspective.
Macavity

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:42 am

Mrs Mac and I feel the figures are a tad tiny JJ. The island is definitely more an island.

best

mac
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri May 01, 2020 7:31 pm

Thanks, mac and Mrs mac, for taking another look for me. Appreciated.
Macavity wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:42 am
Mrs Mac and I feel the figures are a tad tiny JJ. ...I'll accept a bit on the small side. :) Just me going for impact. There was a lot of short people out for a stroll that day. :)

The island is definitely more an island. ...Ah, good to know.

best

mac
Best to both

JJ
Jackie
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Tue May 05, 2020 9:59 pm

JJ, to me there is a huge difference in the overall impression between the original and revised version.

The original seemed like a controlled child's book illustration, framed, enclosed. The second is wide open, and the door with the detail of people becomes a secret revelation on the edge of a massive expanse.

Just my impression

Jackie
JJWilliamson
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:51 am

Thank you very much, Jackie, and sorry for the late response.
I really enjoyed reading your impressions and also enjoyed
looking at the painting again through your eyes.

Thanks for that.

JJ
lotus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:04 pm

greetings JJ

an interesting canvas

i find without people more appealing

yet what i miss in the 'without people' version
is the exacting clarity of what looked in the other version as a possible landmass in the distance
the vagueness of the landmass leaves the so called "background' i bit less integrated in this painting

thankyuuu
for sharing

a warm smile
silent lotus
“A poem should have the touch ... the way sunlight falls on Braille.” .......silent lotus