Ingerland (continued ... )

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
dedalus
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:55 pm

We got through to the second round,
the second round, to the second round.
Do or die, only God knows why:
nobody else has a clue.

God can tell us what to do
against Germany, against Germany.
Here come the Krauts, here comes
1966 and the War all over again.

I remember when John Cleese told us
Never Mention the War.
But what was the war for
if not for this?
rushme
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster
antispam: no

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:05 am

too bad england didn't win! was really rooting for them!

when it was 2-1 & the refree didn't give that second goal - i was quite aghast! what's technology there for? in cricket whenever there's a close call - they refer to technology - another umpire monitors the screen & the whole thing is played & re-played in slow motion before giving the final verdict. so even if the umpire on the field has made a mistake his decision is overruled by technology.

so that decision of not giving the goal was very primitive - about time they changed the rules.

but i thought after that england would go all out & score some more & had the score stayed at 2-1 it would have been a different story - but clearly they were outclassed - 4-1 was pathetic! the germans were playing an inspired game!

so i guess D even God did not have the answer!
dedalus
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:12 am

The match must have been brutally disappointing for the England fans after the long build-up, particularly the ones who had taken time off work and travelled to South Africa! Apart from a 15-minute flurry of attacking football either side of the half England was humiliated by this young German team who seemed to be able to cut through their defence at will, and even seemed to slow down at the end to avoid further embarrassment. Lampard's disallowed goal was a shocker by any standards but the anger at half-time was not reflected in the resignation on the faces of the English players at the final whistle. They knew they'd been soundly beaten. Now I suppose all the recriminations will begin, starting with the tabloids calling for people's heads -- the same papers that were going into a frenzy of jingo patriotism before the match!