The Anatomy of Melancholy

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
Ros
antispam: no

Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:05 pm

Some are afraid... that they are all glass, and will suffer no man to come near them;
- Robert Burton

Saint-Germain, Paris, 16th century:

I know now the delicacy of liquid clarity
frozen into a flask, a pitcher; my fluted neck
bent like a swans’ though I may peer upwards
at the Sun; know its heat burns my surface,
magnifies my innards, sets my stomach
aflame. I stroke my fingers, smooth,
clear as fountains, see rippled beneath them
thighs, solid trunks translucent, toes spun
like filigree, enamelled nails enclosed in wire.

I am lucid, tralucent, vitreform
and though you say such clarity
exposes me to God, I am agony manifest;
I relieve myself standing, haltingly, for fear
my buttocks shatter. I dread the call
of the glazier, he who wants me
to make lights for his latticed window.
Run your finger down me as round
a wineglass. My sound is pure.
Though crazed, I will not crack.

Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.
Persistent Poster

Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:21 pm

"Neck bent like a swan's" was used famously enough by the 19th-century American poet Henry Timrod, and has become something of a cliche. I would avoid it.

Not a big fan of all the abstractions in S2. E.g. "clarity," "agony." 99% of the time it's better to use concrete images.

Other than that, it's a good poem, if a little archaic in its narrative voice. My favorite lines are:
Ros wrote:though I may peer upwards
aflame..
Powerful stuff.
[center]The tree of artistry must be replenished from time to time with the blood of Art.[/center]
ray miller
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:37 pm

Enjoyed this a lot. Not sure about last line.Cracking is just what would be feared, isn't it?

my buttocks shatter.

Does that spring from an anecdote? Seems an odd thing to call to mind otherwise, Ros!

I dread the call of the glazier

It's a nice line, I think, but not something you ever expected to hear.
I'm out of faith and in my cups
I contemplate such bitter stuff.
Ros

Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:57 pm

Benjamin, thanks for the read and comments. Not heard of the Timrod poem, actually. I've based some of the lines on the book of the title, which read rather archaically, so that's where that came from.

Ray, thanks - this is your neck of the woods actually - there was a bit of a fashion in the 16th century for people believing they were made of glass or other substances (ie a baker who thought he was made of butter, and would melt if he went near his oven). The buttocks line was recorded as the view of one of the sufferers, who used to trot round with a permanent cushion attached to his behind. King Charles VI of France was the most famous sufferer. It's held nowadays that they probably had some sort of depression.

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:02 pm

Ros wrote:Ray, thanks - this is your neck of the woods actually - there was a bit of a fashion in the 16th century for people believing they were made of glass or other substances (ie a baker who thought he was made of butter, and would melt if he went near his oven). The buttocks line was recorded as the view of one of the sufferers, who used to trot round with a permanent cushion attached to his behind. King Charles VI of France was the most famous sufferer. It's held nowadays that they probably had some sort of depression.
There's a Cervantes story about this delusion.

Fascinated to know how glass buttocks are Ray's neck of the woods.

I tried to read the Robert Burton. Gave up, I'm afraid. I like the poem, though. Great job of imagining yourself into the mind of the glassy one, and (I think) a lovely last line. I agree with Ray that the reference to the glazier seems a bit odd, although I understand the dread.

Cheers

David
Ros

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:06 pm

Hi David,

Yes, I think taken as a whole, the Burton is unreadable. Glad you like the poem though - it is a bit of a strange one, this.

Ros
Perspicacious Poster

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:43 pm

Yeah, I recognised my neck of the woods. I had heard before of folk who thought they were made of glass.Must be a shattering experience. I figured it must have been an anecdote. Fashions in mental illness is what I call a fascinating subject. These days this would be called body dysmorphic syndrome or some such nonsense. Melancholy is such a beautiful word.
I'm out of faith and in my cups
I contemplate such bitter stuff.
delph_ambi
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:13 am

I enjoyed the poem much more having read the explanation. I'd never heard of people thinking they were made of glass, or other substances. Fascinating.

Without the explanation, the 'buttocks' phrase is a bit too laugh-out-loud and jumped out of the poem most disconcertingly. With the explanation, it works. Or is that just me?

I thought at first it was about alchemy, so tried to make it work that way, and of course it didn't.

Regardless of all the above, it's gloriously and richly written, and I love it.

(Of course the quote gives the explanation, but I took that as metaphor when I read it. Had no idea it was to be taken literally.)
twoleftfeet
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
Location: Standing by a short pier, looking for a long run-up

Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:23 am

Ros,

This is a fascinating poem all the more interesting because you mention fashions, almost as if the deluded are in
competition with one another.

These lines stood out for me:

- and I think the archaic constructs add to the historicity, but I can't see why you use both "tralucent" and "translucent".

If it is at all possible I would be tempted to remove the reference to relieving oneself - "glass arse" sprang immediately
to mind.

I like the ending:

- although IMHO it would work better as
Run your finger round me...

Nice one
Geoff
Last edited by twoleftfeet on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instead of just sitting on the fence - why not stand in the middle of the road?
Oskar
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:53 pm

Ros

This one threw me all over the place. The personification, historical setting and sumptuous descriptions had me thinking about a nubile princess/member of the aristocracy bracing herself to be traded off to some aged member of another European household. The writing is very strong, very bold. You're observations on the properties of materials are acute and lavish.

I really liked the visuals in -
Ros wrote:I stroke my fingers, smooth,
That's a fine piece of decorated glassware and with a picture of fountains in my head, I saw something like the gardens of a royal palace.
my buttocks shatter.
That completely confused me, but I can empathise. I had a similar experience myself in the middle of a Munich campsite many years ago.

If this is purely a people as glass metaphor, I would drop the Robert Burton quote and St-Germain, Paris, 16th century. The piece stands up very nicely by itself.

Thank you. Enjoyed.
"This is going to be a damn masterpiece, when I finish dis..." - Poeterry
Ros

Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:13 pm

Catherine, Geoff, Oskar, thanks. This is a bit of a tricky one, as I think it only works with a bit of background but I didn't want to spell it out too closely. The buttocks bit seemed too good a story to leave out, but doesn't really fit with the tone of the first verse.

Ros
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:01 pm

Ros, i read this a couple of times. Each occasion reinforced how great the first stanza is but the second stanza falls apart. Whilst I get the 'relieve myself standing up' it just doesn't sound write. In fact, with the exception of the last four lines (fantastic!) the second stanza seems out of countrol.
Art is not a mirror to reflect the world, but a hammer with which to shape it.
[right]Vladimir Mayakovsky[/right]
Sharra
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Ros, I've been dipping back into this since you posted it. I just love it - and the ending is fantastic.
My only nits are that word 'tralucent' - I hadn't heard it before and at first glance it looked a typo of a repetition of 'translucent'. And buttocks - I like the 'relieving myself standing' story in here, so I would just like to see a different word. I'm wondering about delving further into the time and seeing what word would have been used then - or the online thesaurus offers words like fundament, posterior, which I quite like.
Nicky
x
It is at the edge of the
petal that love waits
emuse
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:27 pm

Exquisite work Ros. Very unusual and striking. This is definitely a keeper. A few thoughts in the less is more category:

I know now the delicacy of [liquid] clarity (clarity frozen into a flask....very powerful. You do not need "liquid". It is implied with frozen as once being fluid)
frozen into a flask, a pitcher; my fluted neck
[bent] like a swans’ though I may peer upwards
aflame. I stroke my fingers, smooth,
like filigree, enamelled nails enclosed in wire. (simply gorgeous)

I am lucid, [tralucent,] vitreform (another word to keep the beat?)
and though you say such clarity (find another word for clarity since you use it in S1)
exposes me to God, I am agony manifest; (I don't know about saying I am agony manifest. I'd let the reader discover the narrator's agony. The title tells a great deal. I would show another example here of how agony could be manifest. Not sure about the relieving. It's interesting in hindsight... Hmm.)
my buttocks shatter. I dread the call
of the glazier, he who wants me
to make lights for his latticed window.
Though crazed, I will not crack. (love the last three lines here. Stunning. I think there is too much of a leap between the latticed window and the "run". A bit of work on this second half will bring it up to snuff.

A pleasure to read.

e
emuse
Preponderant Poster
Preponderant Poster

Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:31 pm

P.S. the epigraph is so right....gorgeous.
Arian
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:00 pm

benjamin wrote:" I would avoid it.
I wouldn't. It works just fine. Although I think you may have misplaced the apostrophe.

Even before you filled us in on its historical context, I enjoyed the piece. And I like it even more, now I know the background.

I am lucid, tralucent, vitreform
and though you say such clarity
exposes me to God, I am agony manifest;

is terrific. Just terrific. and...

Though crazed, I will not crack.

is, if anything, better.

Very good, Ros. I'm afraid I can't suggest anything that would improve it - merely change it.

Cheers
peter
Ros

Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:11 pm

Thanks, all, for the detailed comments. You've given me a lot to think about - I much appreciate your time. I fear the buttocks may have to go - the middle of v2 obviously needs some adjustment. Tralucent popped out of the thesaurus and seemed such a good word, if uncommon. Hmm, I wonder if it's possible to get a little more of the background in without spoiling it.

Ros

So - why is it swan's neck, but neck like a swans' ?
Perspicacious Poster

Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Ros wrote:So - why is it swan's neck, but neck like a swans' ?
Possibly because it's a characteristic that's collective - a part of swan-ness. But it doesn't convince. It should be swan's, in this usage, I think.

cheers
peter
Ros

Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:54 pm

Arian wrote:
Ros wrote:So - why is it swan's neck, but neck like a swans' ?
Possibly because it's a characteristic that's collective - a part of swan-ness. But it doesn't convince. It should be swan's, in this usage, I think.

cheers
peter
Thanks, Peter. I was trying to find examples of this, but I can't.