A Gauleiter Calls

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
Oskar
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:51 pm

It would be wise for you to paint.
All children need their father.
He has asked for you.
You must be proud.
Such an honour, mein Herr
to be picked like that.

Just wear the little brown shirt
while he sits.
That is all you must do.
And try to see the good in him
for the sake of our people
and their morale, this Christmas.

A simple gift, a page
in a small book, to give them hope.
You show such promise
Hauptmann Koelz.
My car waits outside.
Where are we to go?
Last edited by Oskar on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is going to be a damn masterpiece, when I finish dis..." - Poeterry
David

Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:09 pm

Great title, and a very convincing voice. Is there a reality behind this, however? I could easily be persuaded that there is, but I haven't got around to googling Herr Koelz yet.

And is this another part of that magnum opus you occasionally give us tantalising glimpses of?

Cheers

David
Oskar
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:32 pm

David wrote:Is there a reality behind this
It's a true story, which I found in The Guardian nearly eleven years ago (28th December 2000). I kept the cutting and only recently decided to try and do something with it.

Here's a follow up article -
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/oct/0 ... reducation

That's quite a story, isn't it?
Lu59

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:38 pm

Thanks for the Guardian link – what a fascinating story!

I like the use of end stops in S1, the terse sentences enhance the instructional nature of the content.

The juxtaposition of ‘It would be wise for you to paint/All children need their father’ gives it a menacing tone, which is very fitting to the theme.

What is also clever is the way the instructional voice tries to minimise the implications of what Koelz has been asked to do, with ‘Just wear the little brown shirt…’
brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:15 pm

I'm resisting reading that link Oskar, trying to judge the poem on its merits alone. I always admire your cryptic poetic puzzles, and this one is no exception. The title, the brown shirts, the consistently sinister voice - all excellent. You could probably do away with lines 12 and 16 at no great loss to the poem. I suspect, however, that they are essential to the original source material. True story or not, it would still read like truth to me.

B.
Oskar
Preternatural Poster
Preternatural Poster

Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:31 pm

Thank you Lu59 - my god, I feel like I'm addressing a droid! Glad you think all those simple sentences work.They remind me of something that barrie once said -

the full-stops - It's a bit like driving through the centre of Glasgow when all the light are against you.
brianedwards wrote:You could probably do away with lines 12 and 16 at no great loss to the poem.
You're right about line 12, although I think line 16 is worth keeping as the military reference has interesting connotations.

Cheers, Brian.