Love is like the Higgs-Boson

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no

Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:10 am

Love is like the Higgs-Boson

Use that in a poem
if you dare
she teased,
straightening my tie.

Which was all well
and good, except
I hadn't heard
a word she'd said
and then
she upped and left,

her lipstick stain
on a menthol tip,
smoke prettying
the canvas
of her lungs.

~
lemonstar
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:12 pm

I was wondering if the sci.poets here would have a "field" day with this topic and I think that is a great reason to write poetry anyway - to capture or document a moment like this. It's a very appealing little poem - especially like the last 3 lines.

Edit - forgot to say - it seems to capture the two ideas, the quantum vacuum and love - with tiny, transient bits of evidence spontaneously appearing (and disappearing) out of- and into- nothing.
The rest of you...keep banging the rocks together.
David

Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:29 pm

I don't understand the Higgs boson - so I found this (http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/ ... -explained) useful - but even now I don't understand how the poem relates to it.

I do like the last three lines, though.

Cheers

David
Arian
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:09 pm

I suppose part of the "problem" with the title is that we (well, I, but I suspect I'm representative of the majority here) get used to the idea that the title somehow is the poem, it captures the essence of the piece, reduces its message to a word or two. The title is the poem's alter ego, not it, exactly, but speaking for it. The poem's voice in shortform.

Here, you've - perfectly legitimately, but quite unusually - broken that convention, by using the title as an intro, a kicking-off point to another theme. In this sense, deliberately or not, but I suspect deliberately, you've added a poetic dimension - challenged conventional perception.

In the hands of the amateur, "breaking convention" is as ugly as it is self-defeating. But you're no amateur, and I sense calucaltion behind the piece. And I like it.

On the other hand, of course, you could be talking about the HB. In which case, que?

cheers
peter
Raincoat
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:05 am

yes I thought the same lines about the title - and enjoyed it too, again challenging expectations and I agree this has been nicely done. and is the HB in the teasing aspect - i.e. been teasing the scientists who are trying to find it, and in the "up and left" line - i.e. how the minute you think you've traced it, then it's gone.. then finally the stain on her lungs - the data imagery they're looking at now trying to analyse whether it is the HB and in return the N is analysing their love, although in a playful way? lots of layers and really dynamic, enjoyed very much.
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." Henry David Thoreau
Vincent Turner
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:35 am

Hi Brian.

I have to be honest and say the majority of the poem passed me by.

I did however enjoy the last part- reminded me of an ending of a film.

This is not to say the poem has no merit merely that it did not trigger an response which yours so often do.

I am probably missing something, and it is more than likely the link of the title and poem.

Just my thoughts.

Best Regards

Vincent

P.s- Do you drive/ can you drive?
OwenEdwards
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:01 pm

Well, I quite enjoyed this. It did engender a response from me - a whimsical smile, if that's appropriate. I could make a warm comparison to a Wendy Cope poem but I won't ;).
k-j
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:23 pm

Yes, it is quite Wendy Cope-ish. Everybody needs a boson for a pillow? Last five lines are very pretty.
fine words butter no parsnips
Bloggsworth
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:42 pm

Like everything about it but the title, which is nowhere near as good as the poem, and **** is like ***** is an 'orrible way to start because you look for the similarities when you should be reading the poem - And as someone who has been married for 40 years, I can assure you that it is nowhere near as transient!
Tim Love
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:25 pm

Bloggsworth wrote:Like everything about it but the title, which is nowhere near as good as the poem
I thought the title was what "Use that in a poem if you dare" referred to.
twoleftfeet
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
Location: Standing by a short pier, looking for a long run-up

Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:05 pm

Tim Love wrote:
Bloggsworth wrote:Like everything about it but the title, which is nowhere near as good as the poem
I thought the title was what "Use that in a poem if you dare" referred to.
Hah! That's what I thought - until I thought about it! (line 6&7)

Excellent Brian - it puts me in mind of that geeky character in The Big Bag Theory, just substitute "poet" for "scientist".

Geoff
Instead of just sitting on the fence - why not stand in the middle of the road?
brianedwards
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:06 am

Thanks all, and apologies for the late response. So, some of you like it, some of you don't; it could be about the HB and then again it might not; the title is and isn't linked to the poem . . . I think my work is done!
Wendy Cope though? Bloody hell, that confuses me more than particle physics.

B.
Ros

Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:05 pm

I liked. Enjoyed the dual meaning of 'use that...'. Not sure about smoke prettying lungs, though - rather unPC thing to think nowadays!

Ros
Rosencrantz: What are you playing at? Guildenstern: Words. Words. They're all we have to go on.