Pain Is A Yellow Star

This is a serious poetry forum not a "love-in". Post here for more detailed, constructive criticism.
PaulSteveLaurence

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:33 am

Scalds through clouds,
Tans your hide.

Mower up a bee
that clambers among grass stalks.
Remove the bee's sting
and injure yourself with it.
How can you have foreseen,
anticipated the loss of life,
an accidental spike of importance
of these small
contributors to your wellbeing.

Consider the death of the world.

My granddaughter says
to help with pain
think of pudding.

Chocolate pudding.
Last edited by PaulSteveLaurence on Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
bodkin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
antispam: no
Location: Two inches behind my eyes just above the bridge of my nose.

Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:48 pm

Hi Paul,

I'm enjoying the overall effect of this e.g. particularly where you are ending up. However I'm not sure all the steps along the way are contributing so strongly.

In particular, the "mowering" (which is clever word play) feels like an accident (that happens to the bee) but the next item is "Consider..." which is a very deliberate thing... So it is difficult to see what exact sort of experience the narrator is having...? Is he stepped back and abstractly considering pain (the "consider") or is he suffering it right now (the accident)?

Maybe if the middle of the poem was more of an event that featured pain? So that that was framed by the allegorical first two lines and the final down-to-Earth application of pudding?

Ian
http://www.ianbadcoe.uk/
PaulSteveLaurence

Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:13 am

bodkin wrote:Hi Paul,

I'm enjoying the overall effect of this e.g. particularly where you are ending up. However I'm not sure all the steps along the way are contributing so strongly.

In particular, the "mowering" (which is clever word play) feels like an accident (that happens to the bee) but the next item is "Consider..." which is a very deliberate thing... So it is difficult to see what exact sort of experience the narrator is having...? Is he stepped back and abstractly considering pain (the "consider") or is he suffering it right now (the accident)?

Maybe if the middle of the poem was more of an event that featured pain? So that that was framed by the allegorical first two lines and the final down-to-Earth application of pudding?

Ian
I understand where you're bound with this Ian. Will expand the mid section. Thankyou.
PaulSteveLaurence

Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:51 am

bodkin wrote:Hi Paul,

Ian
Edited.
bodkin
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster
Location: Two inches behind my eyes just above the bridge of my nose.

Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:59 pm

I like this now, except, small nit, but surely something anticipated must have been foreseen?

Ian
http://www.ianbadcoe.uk/
David

Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:13 pm

I like the changes in mood / viewpoint, Paul, but I can't judge what you've changed in response to Ian's first comments. That would be interesting to know (although not absolutely essential).

This sounds like a bit of a Robbie Burns moment. I like it.

Cheers

David
PaulSteveLaurence

Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:04 am

David wrote:I like the changes in mood / viewpoint, Paul, but I can't judge what you've changed in response to Ian's first comments. That would be interesting to know (although not absolutely essential).

This sounds like a bit of a Robbie Burns moment. I like it.

Cheers

David
Thankyou, David.
lotus
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:20 pm

dear Paul

the title imagery of A Yellow Star

brought me first to the realm of Antisemitism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_badge

and then the Tans your hide. and the mower became quite powerful.

it good to be reading from your inkwell once again

a warm smile
silent lotus

`
“A poem should have the touch ... the way sunlight falls on Braille.” .......silent lotus
Richard
Prolific Poster
Prolific Poster

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:31 pm

Lots to like in this for me. The bold bit is incongruously prosey compared to the rest, which is congruously wild...

Scalds through clouds,
Tans your hide.

Mower up a bee
that clambers among grass stalks.
Remove the bee's sting
and injure yourself with it.
How can you have foreseen,
anticipated the loss of life,
an accidental spike of importance
of these small
contributors to your wellbeing.

Consider the death of the world.

My granddaughter says
to help with pain
think of pudding.

Chocolate pudding
Arian
Perspicacious Poster
Perspicacious Poster

Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:58 pm

I like the sound and feel of it, though I confess the allegorical significance of its mid-section escapes me.

The last 4 lines would work well on their own, as an epigrammatic piece.

Cheers
peter
EnPassant
Productive Poster
Productive Poster

Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:51 am

I think either 'foreseen' or 'anticipated' is redundant so delete one.
'Of these small contributors to your wellbeing' Does not work for me. Seems contrived.
The next line is great. Also the ending is good.
Macavity

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:51 pm

Random, but focussed. Works for me.

muchly enjoyed

mac